Canadian Applicant, should I take the American DAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

swim90

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I'm a Canadian applicant applying this upcoming cycle (June 1). I've written the Canadian DAT and scored 21AA and 21PAT, but I've heard that schools like Columbia, etc. prefer an American DAT. Should I take the American DAT to be safe? And if so, when should I do it to be in the first cycle of applicants? Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone, I'm a Canadian applicant applying this upcoming cycle (June 1). I've written the Canadian DAT and scored 21AA and 21PAT, but I've heard that schools like Columbia, etc. prefer an American DAT. Should I take the American DAT to be safe? And if so, when should I do it to be in the first cycle of applicants? Thanks in advance!

I did both but personally think it was a waste of time and money. Your scores are great, and im pretty sure most schools don't care... (there's obviously a select few that have preferences) but in the end i guess all that matters is how badly you want to go there. If you decide to do it, I'd say write end of May at the latest to have your scores in for June 1.

I did both but personally think it was a waste of time and money. Your scores are great, and im pretty sure most schools don't care... (there's obviously a select few that have preferences) but in the end i guess all that matters is how badly you want to go there. If you decide to do it, I'd say write end of May at the latest to have your scores in for June 1.

Thanks for the input! How did you do in comparison to the Canadian one? I really don't want to write the DAT again (I'm debating it at the moment), but I feel like if it could help my chances in the slightest, maybe I should?

Members don't see this ad :)
The year I applied, Columbia gave me an interview in September (which is early) based on my Canadian DAT scores. I don't know how much they care about American DAT scores if you've scored well on the Canadian ones. I had mostly 21s and two 24s

Thanks for the input! How did you do in comparison to the Canadian one? I really don't want to write the DAT again (I'm debating it at the moment), but I feel like if it could help my chances in the slightest, maybe I should?

Overall pretty much the same, I did a point lower in RC as I didn't know we had only 50 mins to do it so I paced myself badly. But I wrote mine less than a week apart, so I expected similar scores. Though it wasn't the best idea seeing as you end up studying for more sections at he same time than you would doing either of them on their own. Based on the previous poster's comments I think you are pretty safe doing just the one, even with Columbia.

Overall pretty much the same, I did a point lower in RC as I didn't know we had only 50 mins to do it so I paced myself badly. But I wrote mine less than a week apart, so I expected similar scores. Though it wasn't the best idea seeing as you end up studying for more sections at he same time than you would doing either of them on their own. Based on the previous poster's comments I think you are pretty safe doing just the one, even with Columbia.

Good to know! I just don't want to hurt my chances if I can help it. Is there anyone here that has been accepted recently to Columbia with only the Canadian DAT scores? Thanks.