Canadian Applicant to US schools - Need Help/Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ht2010

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I am in the process of applying to American MD programs as a Canadian. I was wondering if you could suggest schools which consider Canadian applicants and let me know my chances.

For reference my stats are:
cGPA = 3.79 sGPA = 3.70 MCAT = 33

I am a Canadian applicant with a degree in pharmaceutical sciences but have decided that I want to change career paths and become a physician. I have some research experience and extensive clinical experience working directly with patients and physicians. I also have been able to give back to my community through regular service based volunteering. In terms of my future plans I would love to move to the United States and become a practicing physician.

Any advice would really help me out in terms of what schools to apply to and if I have a realistic chance at the school.

Thanks in advance and best of luck to all applicants!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone. I am in the process of applying to American MD programs as a Canadian. I was wondering if you could suggest schools which consider Canadian applicants and let me know my chances.

For reference my stats are:
cGPA = 3.79 sGPA = 3.70 MCAT = 33

I am a Canadian applicant with a degree in pharmaceutical sciences but have decided that I want to change career paths and become a physician. I have some research experience and extensive clinical experience working directly with patients and physicians. I also have been able to give back to my community through regular service based volunteering. In terms of my future plans I would love to move to the United States and become a practicing physician.

Any advice would really help me out in terms of what schools to apply to and if I have a realistic chance at the school.

Thanks in advance and best of luck to all applicants!
There are 74 MD schools that accept applications from internationals. They can be found in the MSAR. Eliminate the ones that have matriculated 1 or none in the last year. Find the remaining ones with median MCAT scores near or below yours. If you haven't applied to AMCAS yet, apply next cycle.

There are 74 MD schools that accept applications from internationals. They can be found in the MSAR. Eliminate the ones that have matriculated 1 or none in the last year. Find the remaining ones with median MCAT scores near or below yours. If you haven't applied to AMCAS yet, apply next cycle.

I've completed the AMCAS application but I just have to select schools and then get everything verified. Is this not the right way of doing things? Is it too late? I thought the deadlines were as late as October/November for many schools.

Thanks. I will purchase the MSAR.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've completed the AMCAS application but I just have to select schools and then get everything verified. Is this not the right way of doing things? Is it too late? I thought the deadlines were as late as October/November for many schools.

Thanks. I will purchase the MSAR.
At our school we have already decided who will get half of the interview slots. If you have not begun the process to have your transcripts verified, you will be competing for a small proportion of the already small number of interviews that will be afforded to international applicants. If you are still planning to apply this cycle, I recommend that you apply immediately to AMCAS with at least one school and start your research. Pre-write the secondaries while you are waiting.

At our school we have already decided who will get half of the interview slots. If you have not begun the process to have your transcripts verified, you will be competing for a small proportion of the already small number of interviews that will be afforded to international applicants. If you are still planning to apply this cycle, I recommend that you apply immediately to AMCAS with at least one school and start your research. Pre-write the secondaries while you are waiting.
Thanks so much for your help. I will submit all of my material ASAP as I was really hoping to gain admission for this cycle.

Agree with gyngyn, apply next cycle if your app isn't even verified yet. Late, with diminishing chances.

And next year OP will be a re-applicant at these schools. I don't think he realizes the stigma associated with this in the US.
Most Canadians don't understand. Too many of them go ahead and "try their luck" with sub standard applications, when they could wait a year with much higher chances. Likely family pressures to apply quicker.

To any Canadian who sees this thread, Gyngyn is an ADCOM at a US MD school, head their advice - applying to the US and not succeeding I'm the first cycle, labels you as a reapplicant the next cycle. This is very detrimental. DO NOT apply unless you are ready and have a competitive application, if you do so anyways, the consequences are yours only.

Just curious, why do you want to go to a US school?
Canadian docs can practice in the US. US docs can practice in Canada. There's reciprocity.

Just curious, why do you want to go to a US school?
Canadian docs can practice in the US. US docs can practice in Canada. There's reciprocity.
unfortunatly, a 3.7 GPA gives your little chance at any Canadian schools

why is that canadian premeds seem to be a lot more willing to go to caribbean medical schools than american premeds? is it because canada doesn't have a residency crunch and therefore it's easier for a IMG to match in Canada? or is it because receiving an acceptance at a canadian school is even more difficult than at an american school?

why is that canadian premeds seem to be a lot more willing to go to caribbean medical schools than american premeds? is it because canada doesn't have a residency crunch and therefore it's easier for a IMG to match in Canada? or is it because receiving an acceptance at a canadian school is even more difficult than at an american school?[/QUO

It's because acceptance at a Canadian school is significantly more difficult than at an American school; the average acceptance rates are as low as 3% for Canadian schools, so trying to get in anywhere is like trying to get into Harvard (my uni had >3000 apps for 100 spots last year). For IMG's it's actually harder to match back into Canada than the US as well, so going to the Caribbean is virtually a path of no return for Canadians. Having a 3.7 GPA is too low to get into any Canadian school, and even applicants with a 3.8 are at the bottom. So as a result lots of bright, capable students are forced to leave the country permanently if they want to be doctors.

The reason that more Canadian applicants go to Caribbean schools is because fewer get in. There aren't enough spots in Canada, and many US schools accept mostly US candidates (my medical school has >400 students... three of them are Canadian) . Therefore, because there is a larger supply of Canadian applicants, they are pushed into the Caribbean.

Reactions: 1 user