Canadian Applicant... what are my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

deathvvv

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
GPA: 3.54

MCAT: 28 R (10 P 8V 10 B), will retake in july

ECs: 2 years of volunteering at hospital, 1 years of research exp, peer tutoring for half year, volunteer at student union for half year, organized and ran bridge tournament for community bridge club for a year

Do I have a reasonable chance at MD schools? Should I apply for schools now or wait until my scores arrive?

Members don't see this ad.

i am a canadian as well.

from what i have read... your mcat is a bit low but there is a good forum pointing out that it is still possible to get in with 27-29 mcats

if you write a solid mcat in july i think you will have a decent shot at mid level schools but a lot is riding on that mcat and it will make you complete semi late. i feel you have a better shot in the US than canada as your mcat score and GPA are not competitive enough for med school there unless you are from sask, man, NS.

work on the mcat, have good LORs and write a solid PS and you will be competitive but you will definitely need an edge to balance out the low mcat and semi low GPA ... BUT you should not give up

also how well do you think you will do... 30+ then submit primary and your application is processed when the scores arrive

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey thanks for the advice:)

Do you think I should submit now... or wait until august when my scores come out.

well i myself am not that familiar with the system but from what i gather you should complete everything but do not send your scores until you write... you wont be processed until the scores are received the question we should find out is if you can prevent schools form seein your past score... late august isnt too bad but still a bit late you have no choice though.

plan: get the PS, LOR and the like in check
submit and wait for score... are you confident in your new score?

what schools are you interested in?

hey I really appreciate your answers and hope someone answers your question too..

But I think I should definitely improve in the sciences (the verbal is a little shaky because i think it really depends on your condition on the day of). Im hoping for 31+ and P+ on this retake.

As for my schools, Im gona stick with the low end ones and maybe 1 or 2 mid tear 1 and 1 dream school.

the ones that im interested right now are

Rosalind Finch, NYMC. East Virginia, Vermount, SYNU. Albany, Wayne State, Michigan State, Penn State, George Washington, Georgetown and maybe U of Chicago.

the state unis i think michigan and penn are hard on canadians since they receive state funding they dont like sharing... look it up i will find u the site that tells u about canadians

http://www.fiu.edu/~preprofc/Interna...l_Policies.htm

wow thanks lol
hmmm... it seems less than 20 Canadians/ year get in annually in all of US schools :scared:

As a Canadian, your MCAT and GPA are a tad low for US allopathic schools.

You could consider DO schools where your stats are more competitive.