Canadian Applicant..what do I do now? Really need help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

droid4

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Canadian 3.93 cGPA/ AMCAS 4.0cGPA (just graduated 4yr biomedical/ biology double major degree)

Research (will hopefully be published soon), Exec on Clubs, Volunteering, Founded a charity etc.

But here is the kicker..only have a 29Q MCAT (8/11/10) [wrote it once in 2nd year and didn't prep well for sciences]

Results came out yesterday and I am wait listed at two medical schools in Canada [Mac/Ottawa (GWL] (first time applying, I only applied to 4 schools [Queens, UofT, Mac, Ottawa]

1) Should I Rewrite my MCAT and wait a year..? [Afraid to lose 11 in VR/ Changing MCAT]

2) Do I have any chance of getting into a US school? [I am not sure I can afford it or where to start] (I am mixed - Afro- Caribbean..if that matters at all]

3) Do I go down the Caribbean road? [I am looking at Caribbean schools..but I am reading such conflicting opinions on this forum and many others...but I would work my ass off]

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reapply to Mac and Ottawa if you don't get in this year, you can apply to low tier USMD schools but the US is very expensive.

Since you are a URM you should get interviews with your perfect GPA, despite the 29 MCAT. So you are fine for that. Apply broadly to low and mid USMD schools. Meharry for sure. OUWB. Avoid the more expensive schools like Wayne state and NYU, if money is tight but they do take Canadians regularly.

Also at least practice for an mcat retake, you can get your science scores much higher. While you reapply to Mac and Ottawa next year, you can decide it your practice scores are worth retaking. The old mcat is offered until January 2015.

Members don't see this ad :)
Reapply to Mac and Ottawa if you don't get in this year, you can apply to low tier USMD schools but the US is very expensive.

Since you are a URM you should get interviews with your perfect GPA, despite the 29 MCAT. So you are fine for that. Apply broadly to low and mid USMD schools. Meharry for sure. OUWB. Avoid the more expensive schools like Wayne state and NYU, if money is tight but they do take Canadians regularly.

I was told a 80+ at Western University of Ontario was a 4.0 in the USA. I am so sorry for my ignorance, this is all new to me..what does URM stand for? Where might I find a list of low/mid USMD schools that are Canadian friendly? Meharry (Nashville) and OUWB (Oakland)? I will be relying on a LOC and my parents will put their house up as equity...will I be able to afford US schools?

So you suggest applying to the AMCAS cycle this year with my 29 MCAT? I don't have ENG credits at the moment, I took Essay-based courses/ lab report courses, can I take them will applying or must they be complete before application. Should I start here: https://www.aamc.org/students/applying/amcas/ ?

Also at least practice for an mcat retake, you can get your science scores much higher. While you reapply to Mac and Ottawa next year, you can decide it your practice scores are worth retaking. The old mcat is offered until January 2015.

I was hoping to improve my MCAT, so I could apply to UofT (I was below cutoff), UWO, UBC, Queens (I was below cutoff), Cal etc. I am going to start prepping while waiting on the waitlist but I am obviously worried about damaging my chances. I think my Sciences were weak because I didn't practice...I just memorized the prep books as if it was a generic science exam and I was consistently getting 10+ on VR.

I have Aug 27th booked, should I be aiming to rewrite before or after I have re-applied to Mac/ Ottawa? How different will the new MCAT of 2015 be?

Thank you to both of you for replying, I cannot tell you how depressed I am right now lol.

I was told a 80+ at Western University of Ontario was a 4.0 in the USA. I am so sorry for my ignorance, this is all new to me..what does URM stand for? Where might I find a list of low/mid USMD schools that are Canadian friendly? Meharry (Nashville) and OUWB (Oakland)? I will be relying on a LOC and my parents will put their house up as equity...will I be able to afford US schools?

So you suggest applying to the AMCAS cycle this year with my 29 MCAT? I don't have ENG credits at the moment, I took Essay-based courses/ lab report courses, can I take them will applying or must they be complete before application. Should I start here: https://www.aamc.org/students/applying/amcas/ ?

I was hoping to improve my MCAT, so I could apply to UofT (I was below cutoff), UWO, UBC, Queens (I was below cutoff), Cal etc. I am going to start prepping while waiting on the waitlist but I am obviously worried about damaging my chances. I think my Sciences were weak because I didn't practice...I just memorized the prep books as if it was a generic science exam and I was consistently getting 10+ on VR.

I have Aug 27th booked, should I be aiming to rewrite before or after I have re-applied to Mac/ Ottawa? How different will the new MCAT of 2015 be?

Thank you to both of you for replying, I cannot tell you how depressed I am right now lol.

Hi, I'm a US applicant, but I applied from a Canadian undergrad, so I have a little knowledge about your situation.

1) If you have 80+ in all of your courses from most Canadian universities, you have a 4.0. (UofT, McGill this is 85+ I think)

2) URM means Under-Represented Minority, these are racial groups which have a lower proportion of physicians compared to their US population. As an Afro-Carribean you are 100% a URM. URM applicants gain an admissions advantage, basically it's easier for a URM applicant to get into medical school compared to and Over Represented Minority (White, Asian) . This is good news for you, as last application cycle 94% of Black applicants with your statistics got into at least one MD school (source: https://www.aamc.org/download/321514/data/2012factstable25-2.pdf). This number may be slightly lower for internationals.

3) go to premed101.com forums it's basically the Canadian version of this site. They have an entire section dedicated to listing Canadian friendly US MD schools.

4) For Canadian students going to the US for med school, your bank will provide and LOC of 150-200k (depending on which one you use). This will NOT be enough to pay for a US MD school. Also, for international students, most schools make you deposit 1-3 years of tuition into an escrow account upon acceptance (i.e. 40-150k UPFRONT).

5) I also applied without having taken ENGL, most schools let you complete prereqs during your application year. This shouldn't be a problem if you've already gotten BioI/II, Chem I/II, Phys I/II, Orgo I/II and Biochem I done.

6) If you want to apply this year, the application has already opened (I think). US schools have rolling admissions, meaning that as soon as they interview qualified applicants, they will accept them (ie, there will be less seats available for later applicants). To have a good shot at getting into a US MD school this year, you have to start working on your application NOW, (get a personal statement written, get LORs submitted, transcript sent in) and try to be completed at mid-June (even early June if you can do it, the earlier the better).

7) I don't know about the MCAT stuff, it would be best to ask around in the MCAT subforums here and (especially) at premed101

Good luck! Again, go to premed101, it has ALOT of resources for Canadian applicants.

Last edited:
1) If you have 80+ in all of your courses from most Canadian universities, you have a 4.0. (UofT, McGill this is 85+ I think)

Thank you, I have a 4.0 then.

2) URM means Under-Represented Minority, these are racial groups which have a lower proportion of physicians compared to their US population. As an Afro-Carribean you are 100% a URM. URM applicants gain an admissions advantage, basically it's easier for a URM applicant to get into medical school compared to and Over Represented Minority (White, Asian) . This is good news for you, as last application cycle 94% of Black applicants with your statistics got into at least one MD school (source: https://www.aamc.org/download/321514/data/2012factstable25-2.pdf). This number may be slightly lower for internationals.

I am mixed (half Barbados and half Scottish)....the URM still applies to me right?

3) go to premed101.com forums it's basically the Canadian version of this site. They have an entire section dedicated to listing Canadian friendly US MD schools.

I made an account....cannot seem to post...still haven't gotten a verification email...I don't know why

4) For Canadian students going to the US for med school, your bank will provide and LOC of 150-200k (depending on which one you use). This will NOT be enough to pay for a US MD school. Also, for international students, most schools make you deposit 1-3 years of tuition into an escrow account upon acceptance (i.e. 40-150k UPFRONT).

Can you give me an approximate cost for a 4 year program at a reasonably priced mid-tier USMED school (tut+cost of living)?

5) I also applied without having taken ENGL, most schools let you complete prereqs during your application year. This shouldn't be a problem if you've already gotten BioI/II, Chem I/II, Phys I/II, Orgo I/II and Biochem I done.

Thank you, I have taken BioI/II, Chem I/II, Phys I/II, Orgo I/II and Biochem I and much more science/ medical-sci courses. So I just need to have 1.0 ENG done by the time of matriculation, right?

6) If you want to apply this year, the application has already opened (I think). US schools have rolling admissions, meaning that as soon as they interview qualified applicants, they will accept them (ie, there will be less seats available for later applicants). To have a good shot at getting into a US MD school this year, you have to start working on your application NOW, (get a personal statement written, get LORs submitted, transcript sent in) and try to be completed at mid-June (even early June if you can do it, the earlier the better).

I am getting to work on it ASAP, but I am troubled by the financial barrier....I literally may not become a doctor due to it costing too much and its killing me on the inside....

Thank you, I have a 4.0 then.

I am mixed (half Barbados and half Scottish)....the URM still applies to me right?

I made an account....cannot seem to post...still haven't gotten a verification email...I don't know why

Can you give me an approximate cost for a 4 year program at a reasonably priced mid-tier USMED school (tut+cost of living)?

Thank you, I have taken BioI/II, Chem I/II, Phys I/II, Orgo I/II and Biochem I and much more science/ medical-sci courses. So I just need to have 1.0 ENG done by the time of matriculation, right?

I am getting to work on it ASAP, but I am troubled by the financial barrier....I literally may not become a doctor due to it costing too much and its killing me on the inside....

Cost wise, the most expensive I know of is Tufts (95k/yr), average cost I think is around 75k, maybe 80k/yr.

Yes, you only need to have ENG done by matriculation.

The rest I don't know about. I'm not an academic adviser, it might be best to make a thread on the "What are my chances" sub-forum where you could get input from some med school faculty.

Cost wise, the most expensive I know of is Tufts (95k/yr), average cost I think is around 75k, maybe 80k/yr.

The rest I don't know about. I'm not an academic adviser, it might be best to make a thread on the "What are my chances" sub-forum where you could get input from some med school faculty.

Thanks a lot for your help!

95kg for tuition and all expanses combined right? which is often an exaggerated version.

95kg for tuition and all expanses combined right? which is often an exaggerated version.

Yes, cinluding everything, realistically you'll pay less than that number your first 2 years, but will ussually pay full price during your clinicals