Dismiss Notice
Check out the new Application Assistant, where you can calculate your LizzyM score, see how you rank compared to other applicants, and see a list of schools where similar students were accepted.

Canadian Applicant

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical Allopathic [ MD ]' started by Hello11, 05.12.14.

1. SDN is made possible through sponsorships and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. Hello11

Hello11

Hi,

I am hoping to apply to medical schools this summer, but am a bit confused about primary and secondary applications as we apply differently in Canada. This is what I understand about the application process:

Apply online on AMCAS and AAMCOM
    Wait for the secondary applications to be made available on AACOM and AMCAS ( will it be made available to me only if I meet their MCAT and GPA cut off or does everybody receive these secondary applications?)
    Complete the secondary applications before the deadline

Also, where will I get information about which schools accept Canadians and schools that are right for me (in terms of GPA and MCAT). Is MSAR really helpful in answering these questions?

Thanks.

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. shhimnothere

shhimnothere

Last edited: 06.17.14
    Hello11 likes this.
  4. YamNMangos

YamNMangos 2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Yes MSAR is really helpful in deciding what schools to apply to. Don't just look at which schools accept international students though - also see the % of international students that interview/matriculate there per year, compared to OOS. This will give you a much better idea whether or not a school is worth applying to (ex. some schools will accept 1 every few years, while some may accept ~10 a year).

GingerGirl27 and Hello11 like this.
  5. GingerGirl27

GingerGirl27 5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Great advice! I would also double check with each school via their website or contacting them to ensure that they do really accept Canadian students. Good luck!

6. shhimnothere

shhimnothere

Last edited: 06.17.14

About the ads