Canadian applicant

Discussion in 'Physician Scientists' started by knelly, Jul 27, 2002.

1. knelly

knelly Junior Member

I was wondering if there are any colleges in the US that would look at a canadian student planning on doing is his MD/PhD? Thanks for your help!

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. surge

surge Medicinski Znanstvenik

I would call and check, but:

Wash U in St.Louis
    UPenn
    Columbia
    Yale
    Cornnell
    Baylor
    UCLA
    U Chicago
    Emory
    Mount Sinai
    Yeshiva
    Dartmouth
    U Minn TC
    Tufts
    UConn
    U Virginia
    U Texas SW Dallas
    Indiana U

Good luck!

P.S. do keep in mind that while these schools will consider you, usually there are only 1 or 2 spots that can be given to foreigners, so it's much more competitive

P.S.S there are others that will let you apply, but they will give you no funding even if they accept you (e.g. Harvard)

P.S.S.S. I'm in the same situation, so this is what I managed to find out. I apologize if any of them are wrong...

Serge

4. none

none 1K Member

I don't think you can get an MSTP grant if you don't hold U.S. citizenship.

5. sluox

Physician

Fellow [Any Field]
    none, you are right, except several institutions have private grants

serge, i'd also add Hopkins to your list. Last year Sonic Hedgehog got into their MSTP program with a Merck grant. he's canadian i believe

6. jot

jot

whoa - hes not canadian - we don't just give that honor to just anyone! ;) i'm canadian by birth - but luckily a permanent res (though ucsd doesn't believe me) and about 1 month from becoming a citizen. some of those schools have deep pockets for other people. i was just thinking - an mstp grant is approximately a $450,000 scholarship. dizzzam! thats mindnumbingly cool.

7. surge

surge Medicinski Znanstvenik

OK, so.... wait...
    Did he have US citizenship/green card or not? (regardless of whether he's Canadian by birth) :)

Also, do you know if he came to JHopkins with the grant (Merck gave it directly to him), or did JHopkins accept him and fund him with Merck's money?
    Reason I ask is because JHopkins specificaly told me that they have no funds for foreign MD/PhD students.

Serge

8. jot

jot

hopkins accepted and then merck came up with the goods through them i think