canadian applicant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ashylips

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi!

seeing as this has probably been covered,

can anyone direct me where to find info for canadians interested in applying to a US med school?

thanks!

ps: pls. don't flame, i'm new here! :p

Members don't see this ad.

Check out this Canadian website by med student Ian Wong:

www.premed101.com.

Click "forums" when at the top of the homepage. There's a forum on applying to American medschools at the bottom of the forum list.

I'm applying to a bunch of American schools, and I'd love to try to help you with any questions you have (read: share my confusion).

Say, Canada is pretty big - where are you from specifically?

C.

actually, i came to this site by reading about it on that site!

also, i'm from windsor. i didn't bother to put windsor because most ppl. don't know where it is. but it is close to the US, so that's why i'm considering applying to some US schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
I apologize for my redundant advice (that's how I found out about this site, btw).

I know where Windsor is - I live in Tecumseh (in the process of being swallowed by you greedy, greedy folks, Hee hee).

Well, if you find sites about Canadians applying to the U.S. please let me know.

P.S.

Did you say "considering applying"? Is this for 2003 entry? Well, step on it, then! I submitted my AMCAS apps in late Sept. and I hear that's a very bad thing to do. Wish I'd known that in June ...

actually, i'm still in 2nd year...so i hope i shouldn't be applying now! i assume you're a year ahead of me. when did you start the whole application process? any tips/advice?

thanks!

all canadians should apply to where ever tthey want regardless of money....cuz who cares...and yes we wont care if we take the place of an american who will need the same loans too.

The two main things to keep in mind when applying to the US are:

1) Rolling admissions means the earlier you have everything turned in (including letters of recommendation which can easily be the rate-limiting factor), the better. This goes double if you have average stats and are not a URM. Ideally you want your AMCAS to be in by June and all secondaries by about September. Try not to depend on an August MCAT score if possible, because obviously that'll delay things.

(Note: this advice falls under the "do as I say not as I did" category) :D

2) Do your research!!! You want to find schools that not only will accept Canadians (assuming you're not a dual citizen), but accept a good proportion of out-of-state applicants. Most of those will unfortunately be private meaning extra $$$ in tuition.

Speaking of the tuition costs, if you're neither a US citizen nor permanent resident I don't think you'd qualify for the same financial aid (ie. Stafford loans). If you're not independently wealthy, that's most *definitely* something to keep in mind and again do your research on. Applying to the States is quite expensive in and of itself, so you want to be sure you'll be capable of accepting any offers. Finally, understand that coming to the US will make it pretty unlikely that you'll return to Canada for residency.

Best of luck, wherever you apply! Since you're still U2 do your best to rock your classes and the MCAT, that way you'll have the most options open. And of course don't neglect to obtain health care exposure if you've been limited thus far. :)

in addition to what Lara said, search for the "Schools that interveiw Canadians" thread in the Pre-Allo forum. That list was made by us last year when we were applying to help Canadians who are applying to the States.

Originally posted by warpath
in addition to what Lara said, search for the "Schools that interveiw Canadians" thread in the Pre-Allo forum. That list was made by us last year when we were applying to help Canadians who are applying to the States.

That was an excellent list that we put together last year. Glad to see that it has gotten pretty lengthy.:clap: Anyways, the list is linked in an above post by thewonderer.

Originally posted by Chieka
I submitted my AMCAS apps in late Sept. and I hear that's a very bad thing to do. Wish I'd known that in June ... [/B]

but you alreayd got some interviews right??? so congrats.....
i submitted my AMCAS in late Aug. but most of my applications were done in late oct.- early november....and still no interviews yet.....sigh......

Hey i'm from Michigan, we know about good ol Windsor, oh the memories ... Thanks for all the nice entertainment, we Michiganders are very appreciative :p :clap:

Originally posted by jolu
but you alreayd got some interviews right??? so congrats.....
i submitted my AMCAS in late Aug. but most of my applications were done in late oct.- early november....and still no interviews yet.....sigh......

You just gotta wait patiently. US applications start a lot earlier than the Canadian ones and many Canadian applicants were surprised by that. They are probably still going through the people who submitted their secondaries in early part of Oct. You might not hear from them until after christmas. Just gotta wait patiently.... :)