Canadian applicant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

qsk11

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Canadian student

~3.3 gpa
31 mcat

profile:
finished masters in science over a year ago. had 7 publications. lots of volunteering (include some international volunteering), lots of sports, clubs execs, some doctor shadowing experiences, lots of extra-curriculars.

any advice on chances at american med? Caribbeans?

Members don't see this ad.

Caribbean is not necessary. If you apply broadly, you should be fine. Your gpa is pretty low,but your mcat is the average for matriculants.

Members don't see this ad :)
3.3 is undergrad alone.
grad school is research based, so only taken like 4 course in 2 years. gpa for that was 3.85 (but everyone gets good marks in grad school)

I'm also considering applying to SMP for the coming sept, but i don't know if i should since it is quite pricey.

also, being from canada, im not familiar with DO. I don't really know any DO's in Canada. Is it frowned upon to practice with a DO? (is it viewed as a lesser degree?) if it is the case, why not go to carribbeans and get an MD instead? I do plan on practicing in the states after graduation (not fond of canadian winters).
thanks for the advice.

There is an excellent thread in the PreMed Osteo Forum called, I think, "DO for Canadians" that you might want to Search out and read for a good overview.

You can be any specialty as a DO, whereas you are highly likely to be in Family Medicine if you go to the Caribbean, if you can match into a residency.