Canadian applicant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dschrute

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Just wondering if going to med school in the US is a realistic option right now.

Canadian graduate student
GPA: 4.0
MCAT: 10/8/S/11 (written 3 times. no improvement in VR despite endless months of prep :()
MSc to be completed in a few months
ECs: hospital volunteer, summer camp counselor, international aid volunteer trip, tutor, at-risk youth mentor, science outreach volunteer at local schools, TA during undergrad, clinical research thesis during undergrad, clinical research work in lab during summer, 3 executive positions (including president and founder) in clubs, 4 conference/meeting presentations (1 international), 2 publications, 1 manuscript in prep (and part of fishing and dragonboat teams :D)

I'd really appreciate any advice. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone,

Just wondering if going to med school in the US is a realistic option right now.

Canadian graduate student
GPA: 4.0
MCAT: 10/8/S/11 (written 3 times. no improvement in VR despite endless months of prep :()
MSc to be completed in a few months
ECs: hospital volunteer, summer camp counselor, international aid volunteer trip, tutor, at-risk youth mentor, science outreach volunteer at local schools, TA during undergrad, clinical research thesis during undergrad, clinical research work in lab during summer, 3 executive positions (including president and founder) in clubs, 4 conference/meeting presentations (1 international), 2 publications, 1 manuscript in prep (and part of fishing and dragonboat teams :D)

I'd really appreciate any advice. Thank you.
You might have a chance at less-selective US MD schools, particularly if you are representative of a diverse group that a given med school would want to have represented. If you are ESL, that could help you too, but your MCAT is still on the low side for an international applicant. OTOH, you are a strong candidate for acceptance at a DO medical school.

Thanks for the quick reply, Catalystik. Yep, I understand that the scores are low so I will consider DO schools as well. I'm glad to know that I'm not completely out of contention for MD schools.

I've compiled a list of schools that I may have a chance at:

Wayne State
New York Medical College
Jefferson Medical College
Rosalind Franklin
Penn State
Michigan State
SUNY Upstate
Medical College Wisconsin
Georgetown
George Washington
St Louis University
Oakland University

Reasonable list?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the quick reply, Catalystik. Yep, I understand that the scores are low so I will consider DO schools as well. I'm glad to know that I'm not completely out of contention for MD schools.

I've compiled a list of schools that I may have a chance at:

Wayne State
New York Medical College
Jefferson Medical College
Rosalind Franklin
Penn State
Michigan State
SUNY Upstate
Medical College Wisconsin
Georgetown
George Washington

Reasonable list?

Good list. Not sure MCW accepts Canadians, double check. I would suggest you also add SLU since they interview and accept many Canadians. Oakland would also be a good choice. You should have a strong chance within Canada though as a grad student with a 4.0 GPA (that is undergrad GPA correct?).

Catalystik: Thank you for that piece of info. I think I'll give it a shot.

blizzah: Hm...I just checked the MCW website and eligibility is based on earning 90 undergrad credits at a regionally accredited college or university in the United States or Canada. I'll definitely add SLU and Oakland. Thank you! The new MSAR directory indicates that SLU interviewed 78 (whoa) international applicants. Unfortunately stats aren't available for Oakland yet.

Yup, the 4.0 is from undergrad. It is, however, after converting to the AMCAS scale. In Canada, my GPA is ~3.9.

Catalystik: Thank you for that piece of info. I think I'll give it a shot.

blizzah: Hm...I just checked the MCW website and eligibility is based on earning 90 undergrad credits at a regionally accredited college or university in the United States or Canada. I'll definitely add SLU and Oakland. Thank you! The new MSAR directory indicates that SLU interviewed 78 (whoa) international applicants. Unfortunately stats aren't available for Oakland yet.

Yup, the 4.0 is from undergrad. It is, however, after converting to the AMCAS scale. In Canada, my GPA is ~3.9.

I just went through my school list to find some schools I applied to with lowish MCAT averages.

If you want more schools to add, I would also throw in Tulane and Hawaii (I had an interview and another friend had one last year here, so you never know).

Remember to apply early and return secondaries ASAP.

You guys are really helpful! Thanks a bunch.