Canadian Applicants to Ontario Schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
wends said:
i called toronto to make sure something i sent in was received and the lady was like, i cant look for your file specifically im busy and all that bull****

Don't take the Toronto thing personally. I went in there a while agoto ask if they could confirm that my email update of my academic record had been received and was told that they were still putting some of the files together and couldn't confirm (transcripts were everywhere in the office). I left the office, only to walk back in and ask if there is some type of mechanism in place to trigger a re-review of the file if an update came in. The secretary said, "I know this is important to you, but I assure you everything you send us is included. Hold on, let me call Leslie over." Leslie Taylor of course is the head of admissions.

They may seem cold at this time, but they're pretty nice (especially compared to some people in UofT's undergrad administration) and maybe just a bit late getting everything together.

I completely agree with you about the cut-offs and long, drawn out process in Canada. It would be nice to know I'm going to be a doctor in October instead of June. I'd also like to say f*** Mac and Ottawa (at least until I apply for residency :D ).

Members don't see this ad.

wends said:
.........christ sometimes i want to give a collective middle finger to all canadian schools, take that alberta! ottawa! mcmaster! calgary!LOL
lol :laugh:

I agree I think the medical application process in general is far too drawn out. However in the US I think they apply earlier then we do for early admissions, plus most schools their require a 4 year degree while hear we can get away with 3 years (2 in some notable exceptions) for now.

I especially hate waiting for Western to send the invite because its bad enough trying to schedule tickets for other interviews! I think Queens gets the award for fastest contact in Ontario.

Members don't see this ad :)
fever5 said:
I agree I think the medical application process in general is far too drawn out. However in the US I think they apply earlier then we do for early admissions, plus most schools their require a 4 year degree while hear we can get away with 3 years (2 in some notable exceptions) for now.

I especially hate waiting for Western to send the invite because its bad enough trying to schedule tickets for other interviews! I think Queens gets the award for fastest contact in Ontario.

Yeah, western is taking a bit of time and I'm nervous cuz the update I mentioned above affects my course load last year, which in turn affects my interview. Apparently they sent out rejections last Friday and are starting with interview emails this week. I have a flight problem with Manitoba as my Queen's interview is on the first weekend, and I wanted to interview at Manitoba first. I'm still waiting for UM to call me so that I know whether I should approach Queen's about rescheduling it for the last weekend. I know the American applicants apply in the summer, but that can be a good thing and even those who complete in October get decisions way earlier than us; Ontario applicants who get interviews go through about 7 months of stress and waiting.

More UofT letters just went out (I got one for the last weekend in feb.) Good luck everyone!

winstonm said:
More UofT letters just went out (I got one for the last weekend in feb.) Good luck everyone!

Congratulations winstonm!

CanuckRazorback said:
:laugh: Western actually cares about the writing sample. That's cute :p

That's actually ******ed. You might have great writing skills and get a T on writing sample, it aint' gonna help you as a doctor. What if you are a surgeon you write tiny progess notes. Like writing even matters. I mean I do understand the need to be literate and to construct sentences in a logical and coherent matter, but to base someone's ability to do that based on some BS like the writing sample give me a break. By these numbers, western tends to favor more majors from areas where writing is more emphasized. Oh well, that's life.