Canadian Apply to Dental schools

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by parham3, 05.12.14.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. parham3

parham3 2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I will be applying this year to US dental schools

GPA 3.6 overall
    sciGPA 3.5, BCP 3.6

have a very strong upward trend, basically all A's except first year. Double majoring in Chem and Bio. I have also done a honors thesis. Research volunteering, general volunteering, dental volunteering, Start-up company, etc.

I got 19AA and 23PAT on my canadian DAT and will be writing my aDAT coming june expecting to get over 21+ on all sections.

Schools I will be apply to
    USC
    USCSF
    Midwestern
    Kentucky
    Michigan
    Boston
    NYU
    Tufts
    Columbia
    Temple
    University of Pennsylvania

I really want to avoid dental schools not to be blunt but ****ty areas. Ant input of addition/removal would be great. I want to cut the school list to 8. Preferably move to the West coast with nice weather.

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. UWO2014

UWO2014 2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Tufts does not accept Canadian students anymore, so I would remove that. I would remove Kentucky as well..
    I would add in Case Western in that list.

4. joeeeey3

joeeeey3 2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    i would remove temple, ucsf and USC (just because it costs $470k ish in Canadian dollar)
    add pittsburgh

5. Connauton

Connauton 2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    They're still accepting the Canadian DAT though?

6. UWO2014

UWO2014 2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    http://dental.tufts.edu/admissions/dmd-program/frequently-asked-questions/#international

Q. Do you accept applicants with international residency?

A. No. For the 2012-2013 application cycle those applicants without US citizenship or permanent residency will not be considered for the DMD program.

To @Connauton, I think it is for American citizens residing in Canada who wants to apply using Canadian DAT score..?
    I didn't apply to Tufts, but I have read from premed101 and other forums that Tufts does not accept international students anymore.

7. UWO2014

UWO2014 2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    On top of that previous post, I think it might be Canadian Citizens holding permanent residency or dual citizenship as well.

8. PhysM

PhysM 2+ Year Member

edit

Last edited: 07.11.16
  9. parham3

parham3 2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    bump

10. BlackThought

BlackThought 5+ Year Member

Add Buffalo, Detroit Mercy, Minnesota.

Also, why do you want to cut your list to 8? Your stats are right around the average, so maybe apply to a couple more than 8. As a Canadian you're fighting for a smaller number of spots right off the bat.

11. parham3

parham3 2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    But private schools shouldn't discriminate so everyone is on the same playing field

12. BlackThought

BlackThought 5+ Year Member

Be realistic about how many spots that schools historically has Canadians. It's never a hard number but certain schools tend to take more Canadians than others. There are certain trends. Don't be under the impression that every single applicant is on the exact same 'playing field', especially when it comes to international applicants. If a school historically tends to take 5-6, than those are the spots you are fighting for; not the 100 or whatever the class size is.

UWO2014 likes this.
  13. joeeeey3

joeeeey3 2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    not exactly entirely true
    look at the statistics of how many Canadians were accepted to each school in the past several years. (doctoothache uploaded the excel file)
    from what I can remember, even Canadian friendly schools (either private or not) only gave out 10% of their class seats to Canadians.
    Is it because non-Canadian students had higher gpa and DAT? Maybe, maybe not. but nonetheless those are the statistics.

About the ads