Canadian applying ERAS - visa confusion

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jerkey

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm a canadian medical graduate with no american permanent resident status. I'm applying to ERAS and getting a headache over visa requirements. I am eligible for J1 visa sponsored by ECFMG which I take it as "me getting a visa without residency program's help (except the contract)". When I read some of the program descriptions, I think they use the term "does not sponsor visas" to mean both won't accept J1 AND won't give H1B whereas others will say "will not sponsor visas" to mean no H1B and say on another page they will accept J1 visa.

Is this something I can only clarify by emailing each program?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

You are correct that the situation is confusing. If a program says that they won't sponsor a visa, for sure they won't offer you an H1. Usually, it also means that they won't accept a J1 either, but I could imagine that some programs might see it differently since they need to do (almost) nothing for you to get a J1.

I'm not certain it's worth contacting programs now to clarify. If you asked this question in August, it would be completely reasonable to help you decide where to apply. But presumably you've already applied, and at this point you might as well wait to see where you get interviews, and then ask there.