Canadian Applying for Irish Med

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DoctorS84

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

First off, joined the forum a couple months back, great information. Thanks to all the contributors for all the pre-med students lurking the forums.

I'm thinking about applying to Irish Med in the 2016 cycle. I had a few questions for anyone with some additional insight:

I recently graduated with a Bachelor of Health Science in Radiation Therapy, currently working as a therapist for 2+ years now in Vancouver, BC. Graduated top of my class with a 90% overall average (They don't have GPA in BC, I think it converts to a 3.4-4.0 depending on the scale). However, the degree doesn't include all the traditional science pre-reqs for North American Med. Specifically the chemistry portion, I did take the chemistry portion way back during my 1st Undergrad year but that was over 7 years I ago, and my gpa was horrible then (2.8?)

Question 1: I've been trying to find minimum reqs through Atlantic bridge and on different school websites but they have been very vague, are they hard-set on having certain pre-requs to be considered?.

I'm taking the MCAT this coming January, and if I bomb it, perhaps again in April/May of 2015. I'm doing the sn2ed method, hopefully be able to pull off at least a 30. I think I'm confident in that.

Question 2: When would be a good time for me to apply? As early as possible for the 2016 cycle?

Being a non-trad med school (Turning 30 next month), I do have alot of good work experience (work in the radiation oncology department, LORs from current radiation oncologists etc).

What do you think my chances are in Ireland? I do want to probably come back to Canada to practice, but perhaps Ireland can be considered in the future. I also might apply to Ireland, but the pre-reqs are pretty set. I'll have to do some more research there. Thanks in advance for all the replies.

Members don't see this ad.

I think you can take a look at Canadian schools that don't have science pre-reqs. These include Alberta, Calgary, McMaster, Western and Queens. You'll be OOP for all but Queens and Western but its worth a shot especially if you can nail a 11 on the VR and a good score on the rest especially 12 in Bio for Western.

A range of 3.4-4.0 GPA is really big so you'll really need to clarify on that. Use OMSAS's scale to tell us? Graduating top of your class should mean your GPA is really high though and a 90% average sounds something in the 3.9-4.0 range to me.

I don't think Irish schools will need all the pre-reqs but you definitely should ask Atlantic Bridge through an email they are really responsive and helpful.

Be mindful of the 2015 MCAT as the numbers and scores will change and some schools won't take a pre-2015 MCAT in 2016.

When i applied 2 years ago I didn't have any of the pre-requisites for standard med either. I only had 1/2 a biology credit and 1/2 a chemistry credit (no organic chem, no additions bio/chem, no physics). I did ask ABP their input and as I recall there are no specific requirements for Irish schools. I've got friends here from loads of different backgrounds and not everyone had the standard 'canadian' med school course requirements. As long as you have a degree and have taken some sort of science class you'll be grand! Given your degree was in rad tech, I don't think that will be any issue for you.

Even in your application (or at least mine) there was no place to specify my prerequisites, I just submitted a transcript. And by the sounds of all you extracurriculars, I think you've got a good chance at an offer. You may even be able to apply for the 'mature' student stream which may help your odds of an acceptance.

As for your second question, apply whenever you can. People do wait until the last minute, but that can be stressful since ABP gets pretty busy! I think I had my forms in by November of my application cycle and my references trailed in the following calendar year in January. I do have friends who said they applied in the late deadline and submitted everything in January...If you are certain this is a possible route for you, I say why wait! Apply in November(your application form) and then the references are still allowed to trickle in until January without a penalty.

Hey Guys,

First off, joined the forum a couple months back, great information. Thanks to all the contributors for all the pre-med students lurking the forums.

I'm thinking about applying to Irish Med in the 2016 cycle. I had a few questions for anyone with some additional insight:

I recently graduated with a Bachelor of Health Science in Radiation Therapy, currently working as a therapist for 2+ years now in Vancouver, BC. Graduated top of my class with a 90% overall average (They don't have GPA in BC, I think it converts to a 3.4-4.0 depending on the scale). However, the degree doesn't include all the traditional science pre-reqs for North American Med. Specifically the chemistry portion, I did take the chemistry portion way back during my 1st Undergrad year but that was over 7 years I ago, and my gpa was horrible then (2.8?)

Question 1: I've been trying to find minimum reqs through Atlantic bridge and on different school websites but they have been very vague, are they hard-set on having certain pre-requs to be considered?.

I'm taking the MCAT this coming January, and if I bomb it, perhaps again in April/May of 2015. I'm doing the sn2ed method, hopefully be able to pull off at least a 30. I think I'm confident in that.

Question 2: When would be a good time for me to apply? As early as possible for the 2016 cycle?

Being a non-trad med school (Turning 30 next month), I do have alot of good work experience (work in the radiation oncology department, LORs from current radiation oncologists etc).

What do you think my chances are in Ireland? I do want to probably come back to Canada to practice, but perhaps Ireland can be considered in the future. I also might apply to Ireland, but the pre-reqs are pretty set. I'll have to do some more research there. Thanks in advance for all the replies.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am applying to medical school in Ireland through Atlantic Bridge.
I am am applying for the 6 year programs, as I am coming right out of high school.
Does anyone have any information on admission statistics, or what they were accepted/rejected with.

*Have not written the MCAT, SAT, and did not do IB

I am applying to medical school in Ireland through Atlantic Bridge.
I am am applying for the 6 year programs, as I am coming right out of high school.
Does anyone have any information on admission statistics, or what they were accepted/rejected with.

*Have not written the MCAT, SAT, and did not do IB

Was accepted several years ago with a 94 top 6 average but potentially lower when I applied, 88 in Bio and 97 in Chem with a 760 Bio-M SAT II and a 800 World History SAT II. Also had stellar extracurriculars (a bit arrogant I know).

They are very likely looking for 90+ in both Bio and Chem. My Bio was below the cutoff but I had a proven record with my SAT II which was accepted (my teacher was a tough marker).