Canadian applying for J1 or F1 visa to study medicine in the States

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bagofnuts

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm Canadian, and I've been accepted to an MD/PhD program with funding in the States. I have the option of applying to the J1 or F1 visa, but I'm not sure which one I should apply to. I'd appreciate it if someone can offer some insight?

I am exempt from J1's 2-year home residency requirement (because my funding source isn't from the government and because Canada isn't on the exchange visitors skills list), so that makes the J1 and F1 seem really similar, with the benefit of the J1 holder's spouse and dependents being able to work in the states. Are there any other pros/cons to each that I don't know about?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,

I'm Canadian, and I've been accepted to an MD/PhD program with funding in the States. I have the option of applying to the J1 or F1 visa, but I'm not sure which one I should apply to. I'd appreciate it if someone can offer some insight?

I am exempt from J1's 2-year home residency requirement (because my funding source isn't from the government and because Canada isn't on the exchange visitors skills list), so that makes the J1 and F1 seem really similar, with the benefit of the J1 holder's spouse and dependents being able to work in the states. Are there any other pros/cons to each that I don't know about?

Thanks!

The fact that Canada isn't on the exchange visitors skills list does NOT exempt one from the 2 year home residency rule of the J1. Not sure if you can get an F1 (sounds like you're headed for medical school, not as an actual physician i.e. resident) but that seems like the one you should go with.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi,

Thanks!

The J-1 is for RESIDENCY not for MD/PhD.
:thumbup:The F1 is appropriate for your medical school.
When you are accepted for residency you will have to decide if you will file for J-1 Visa or H-1 B visa.