canadian applying to american schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ravenous

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
what are my chances?

full course load each year (Left side is the Canadian GPA, Right side is my Canadian GPA converted to the American Scale):
1st: 3.44 --> 3.6
2nd: 3.62 --> 3.8
3rd: 3.69 --> 3.85
4th: 3.81 --> 3.95
summer school: 3.3 --> 3.5 (took a full year course of English)
5th: still in progress (full course load)

cGPA: 3.8 (not including the summer school)
sGPA: I don't know what it is, but i'd assume it's somewhere between 3.5-3.7 -- all chemistry / biology / physics courses are included in this score?

MCAT (VR/PS/WS/BS)
1st: 6/10/R/12 --- (28R)
2nd: 6/11/R/9 --- (26R)
3rd: 6/10/Q/11 (most recent MCAT test) --- (27Q)

I do not plan on rewriting it, because verbal reasoning keeps kicking my butt and I've all but given up on it after having tried 3 different approaches each time. I'm not wasting another summer writing.

where can I apply and stand a reasonable chance of getting accepted? / get a good residency afterwards?

Thanks so much guys!

Members don't see this ad.

So residency is a moot point until you get into medical school, take the boards and do your rotations so not worth exploring right now.

Bannie seems to be the canadian expert so he'll chime in at some point

Your GPA is good but your MCAT substantial less so, esp the 6. I think you'll have a really tough time getting much interest at MD schools due to the 6 and having taken it 3 times.

from what i understand the med schools in canada are good, maybe staying there is a better option

also definitely need to have no lower than a 7 in each section, unless your URM or have some great life story

Members don't see this ad :)
He's highly unlikely to get into a Canadian school with those MCATs.

I agree with robflanker. You are highly unlikely to get into a US allopathic med school with a verbal of 6, MCAT of 27, good GPA not withstanding, when even an American applicant would be unlikely to get an acceptance. You might look into US osteopathic med schools.

DO schools. Do research on schools whom don't have cut off's at 6 verbal. Apply broadly. GL.

Hey

How did you know that your grades converted like that. I have been looking for a conversion scale where did you get yours? Awesome GPA, MCAT not so good. I'd say that you could get into an MD school if you applied broadly but consider DO also.
Thanks

would rewriting the mcat help assuming i get at least a 7 on VR?

I'd still say no. You prob need at least an 8 on the VR to have a realistic chance, probably more like a 9

Unless English is your second language an 8+ would be safer.

An MSAR (Medical School Admisssion Requirements book, available at your premed advising office or on-line through AMCAS) would tell you the bottom 10th percentile for VS for each school. You could cross correlate whether any of the ones taking lower numbers also take Canadians.

how have you been preparing for the verbal section?

and have you only recently learnt english

im sure a lower score in verbal could be fine if english is not your first language, and you've only recently come into contact with it.

there have got to be some US-MD schools that take interest in applicants for whom english is not a strongpoint because they haven't been immersed in it long enough

fact that you can pull off a 3.8ish gpa is evidence enough that your level of english expertise and skill associated with compromising for lack of is good enough.

i'd call schools specifically to share your situation

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry about the low MCAT dude, but if anything, I find the US schools place more emphasis on MCAT than Canadian schools do (granted, a low MCAT doesn't disqualify you for an interivew... depends on how strong the rest of your application is)

Like Bannie said, it may be a viable option to look into some of the best Caribbean schools that have good match lists and low atrisian rates. (SGU maybe?) They are often more forgiving of bad MCAT or bad marks as long as you can demonstrate to your interviewer that you have a true passion for medicine. And, if you have the ability to be in an American med school but was kept out because of low MCAT then you should have the ability to thrive in a Caribbean school too, just work hard and it's not impossible to come back for residency (I know there's a very very negative view of Caribbean med schools on SDN, but it is often an option for Canadians...)

im sure a lower score in verbal could be fine if english is not your first language, and you've only recently come into contact with it.

there have got to be some US-MD schools that take interest in applicants for whom english is not a strongpoint because they haven't been immersed in it long enough
How do you figure this? They would value a poor command of the english language because all of their classes are taught in a different language? this makes no sense. I'm not saying this is relevant to the OP but i struggle to see how a medical school gets excited about an applicant who has a poor command of english but wants to attend a school where all the classes will be taught in english...
fact that you can pull off a 3.8ish gpa is evidence enough that your level of english expertise and skill associated with compromising for lack of is good enough.
Not if his classes were taught in French.... The OP is canadian so it is entirely possible he/she earned there 3.8 GPA in french-taught classes so this doesnt indicate any command of the english language from a GPA.

Just occurred to me that the Canadians need their own sub-forum, a place where they can congregate and share insights.

English is not my second language. My gpa was obtained from english not french taught courses. In fact, I'm quite good in english (2 R's and 1 Q on the WS) but VR just seems to consistently destroy me

- long story short i need a minimum 8 in VR and i'd be set for america?
- how does american schools look at students that are half way through their OT or PT degree? I would like to start this as a back up in case american med school doesn't work out this year...and i'd apply again to them again the following year. I guess I'm asking if I can just quit OT / PT midway and go to american school without a problem.

Thanks guys, you've been helpful.

Thanks for clarifying your education Ravenous.

I'd dispute you being "quite" good in english given the 6s in verbal but so be it.

Yes, i'd say you need a minimum of an 8 on the VR to realistically apply to a US-MD program from Canada.
In terms of OT/PT - i don't think they particularly care. It's not going to impress them nor is it going to hurt. As long as you are ok jumping ship midway, I don't see it being a problem.

Good luck to you

Thanks for clarifying your education Ravenous.

I'd dispute you being "quite" good in english given the 6s in verbal but so be it.

Yes, i'd say you need a minimum of an 8 on the VR to realistically apply to a US-MD program from Canada.
In terms of OT/PT - i don't think they particularly care. It's not going to impress them nor is it going to hurt. As long as you are ok jumping ship midway, I don't see it being a problem.

Good luck to you

I think Ravenous asks because you cannot apply to a Canadian med school in the middle of a Masters degree (which is what OT/PT is). You actually would need a letter from your masters supervisor for some schools just so that the med schools know that the PI knows of their intensions. As far as I know, you won't have the same problem in the US, but then again, I don't think US schools put you in a different pool of applicants even if you have a masters....

sdn so much better tho

you dont make sense.

if you want canadian input->premed101
if you want american input->sdn

easy.

posters above were suggesting a place where canadians can congregate. that is already present in the link i supplied above.

I think Ravenous asks because you cannot apply to a Canadian med school in the middle of a Masters degree (which is what OT/PT is). You actually would need a letter from your masters supervisor for some schools just so that the med schools know that the PI knows of their intensions. As far as I know, you won't have the same problem in the US, but then again, I don't think US schools put you in a different pool of applicants even if you have a masters....
Actually, US med schools don't want to see you dropping out of a masters program either, and also require a letter from your degree advisor giving you a recommendation for med school.

- long story short i need a minimum 8 in VR and i'd be set for america?
-
You also need a much higher MCAT score.

No one is ever "set" for an acceptance no matter how perfect their application is. Aside from the numbers, ECs are important, as are your Personal Statement, Letters of Recommendation, and interview skills. Even if those are perfect too, if your interviewer is having a bad day because he has indigestion or his favorite sport team lost, you may be out of luck.

Actually, US med schools don't want to see you dropping out of a masters program either, and also require a letter from your degree advisor giving you a recommendation for med school.

Ah, ok, well I didn't know. Never thought dropping out of a masters was an option so never looked into it. Granted, OT/PT is a course based masters so who would be your supervisor?

you really need to figure out why you're getting 6's in verbal.

how are you preparing?

you haven't answered that yet.

are you taking practice tests?

have you gotten any professional guidance?

are you doing reading comprehension exercises?

have you considered boosting your reading speed with the use of visual bite increasing drills?

you really need to figure out why you're getting 6's in verbal.

how are you preparing?

you haven't answered that yet.

are you taking practice tests?

have you gotten any professional guidance?

are you doing reading comprehension exercises?

have you considered boosting your reading speed with the use of visual bite increasing drills?

i have old AAMC tests. Also used EK 101 VR passages (modified for CBT). I went through these about a billion times (having written the MCAT 3 times). My score on practice tests ranges from 6-9.

I'd highlight only names + dates on the CBT. I'd try to keep a mental track of what happened in each paragraph.

The only thing I have not tried thus far is to write out a tid bit of every paragraph on paper. I personally think it would take too long for me to write a tid bit on each paragraph, then refer back to it if need be.

what's this i hear of "visual bite increasing drills" ? Can you explain that further?

cheers,
-Ravenous