Canadian Applying to Australian Med/Other International Med

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yeah but the problem in the US is that if you go to a generic public med school (e.g. West Virginia) you have almost no shot at the lucrative (e.g. highly paid) specialties, so in essence you're paying for what you'll get, which will be a primary care position at a conglomerate hospital.

If you are willing to go into 400k+ debt (remember, interest on these loans is over 7% now) to max out at a salary of 250-300k after putting in years of 90-100 weeks, nonstop research, extracurriculars/brown-nosing, top marks and top scores, then US is a decent option.

Members don't see this ad.

I think you're completely deluded about America and should stick to talking about the Australian system..The bare minimum hours for an American residency is 60 hour works, and in California it's easily in the 80-100 hours/weeks range.

You have no idea how much more difficult it is in America.

I think you're completely deluded about America and should stick to talking about the Australian system..The bare minimum hours for an American residency is 60 hour works, and in California it's easily in the 80-100 hours/weeks range.

1. What you've said is not responsive to anything I said. It's just ad hominem. You're not dealing with facts. Rather you're just emoting.

2. Besides, I never said America wasn't "difficult." So you're trying to put words in my mouth.

3. You're wrong about the "bare minimum hours for an American residency" - it depends on the residency (e.g. hospital) as well as specialty (among other things). Yes, some are 60 hrs. Some are more. A few are less. Legally, you're not supposed to go over 80 hrs for residency averaged fortnightly (or maybe monthly?). But of course many residencies will essentially not have their residents record it even if they do go over . Anyway, people interested can check out FREIDA to see average residency work hours by specialty.

4. And the hours worked in residency don't change depending on the state if that's what you're attempting to imply with your California comment. It's more dependent on the specialty, among other things.

5. Anyway, dude, I'm not trying to pick a fight with you. I'm just putting out info. If you think it's inaccurate info, then correct it. I've cited reliable sources. Plus, if you read what I've said above to you carefully, a lot of it was actually in agreement. So not sure if you just have a chip on your shoulder or what. Anyway, doesn't matter. The facts stand on their own.

Members don't see this ad :)

By the way, how much do you know about America? It doesn't seem like you know much given what you've written. Also, I'm American (as well as Australian), and know both systems well enough. I have friends (and acquaintances) who are med students and interns/residents in both countries.

Trying to scare people away from Australia, eh?

Are you a school admissions rep or something?

Anyone with a brain on their head will tell you, that if you plan on practicing in North America, and doing residency in North America - you better try first to get into a North American school. The NRMP statistics speak for themselves.

My warnings ONLY APPLY to people who want to do residency in North America. Plain and simple.

Does not apply to anyone else.

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah but the problem in the US is that if you go to a generic public med school (e.g. West Virginia) you have almost no shot at the lucrative (e.g. highly paid) specialties, so in essence you're paying for what you'll get, which will be a primary care position at a conglomerate hospital.

Since you bring up West Virginia University, here is their match list for 2014. Results:
  • 5 people matched in anesthesiology
  • 2 people in dermatology
  • 6 in emergency medicine
  • 18 in IM (with the potential for fellowships like GI, cards, heme/onc)
  • 1 into orthopaedic surgery
  • 1 into opthalamology
  • 1 in ENT
  • 1 in plastic surgery
  • 6 in radiology
  • 1 in rad onc
  • 8 in gen surg (with potential for plastics and other financially rewarding subspecialties)
  • 2 in urology
  • 1 vascular surgery
All these specialties have the potential to be "lucrative" specialties.

In other words, West Virginia medical graduates did pretty well matching into "lucrative" specialties, I'd say!

You point out anecdotal evidence even though there's been a spate of recent articles about how desperate the system has become in America.

'A class-action lawsuit to be filed in Washington today challenges the matching program on antitrust grounds. The suit says the defendants, including seven medical organizations and more than 1,000 private hospitals, have used the program to keep residents' wages low and hours long. Almost all first-year residents make less than $40,000 a year and often work 100-hour weeks.'

But oh yes, the three people you know all matched into dermatology./plastic surgery/radiology and live and work in Beverly Hills and Soho while making upwards of 500k a year and working 15 hours weeks.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/23/us/shortage-of-doctors-tough-to-fix.html?pagewanted=all
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/14/us/salaried-doctors-may-not-lead-to-cheaper-health-care.html
http://doctordrain.journalism.cuny.edu/the-broken-system/family-practice-just-doesnt-pay/
http://www.nytimes.com/2002/05/07/us/medical-students-sue-over-residency-system.html

Since you bring up West Virginia University, here is their match list for 2014. Results:
  • 5 people matched in anesthesiology
  • 2 people in dermatology
  • 6 in emergency medicine
  • 18 in IM (with the potential for fellowships like GI, cards, heme/onc)
  • 1 into orthopaedic surgery
  • 1 into opthalamology
  • 1 in ENT
  • 1 in plastic surgery
  • 6 in radiology
  • 1 in rad onc
  • 8 in gen surg (with potential for plastics and other financially rewarding subspecialties)
  • 2 in urology
  • 1 vascular surgery
All these specialties have the potential to be "lucrative" specialties.

In other words, West Virginia medical graduates did pretty well matching into "lucrative" specialties, I'd say!

You do realize that IM is what anyone can get into, right? And they are all relegated to West Virginia.

You point out anecdotal evidence even though there's been a spate of recent articles about how desperate the system has become in America.

'A class-action lawsuit to be filed in Washington today challenges the matching program on antitrust grounds. The suit says the defendants, including seven medical organizations and more than 1,000 private hospitals, have used the program to keep residents' wages low and hours long. Almost all first-year residents make less than $40,000 a year and often work 100-hour weeks.'

But oh yes, the three people you know all matched into dermatology./plastic surgery/radiology and live and work in Beverly Hills and Soho and makes 500k a year and work 15 hours weeks.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/23/us/shortage-of-doctors-tough-to-fix.html?pagewanted=all
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/14/us/salaried-doctors-may-not-lead-to-cheaper-health-care.html
http://doctordrain.journalism.cuny.edu/the-broken-system/family-practice-just-doesnt-pay/
http://www.nytimes.com/2002/05/07/us/medical-students-sue-over-residency-system.html

Seriously, what's your problem, qldking? It's like you have poor reading comprehension or can't follow the logic of your own arguments?

As I've already pointed out, I never said the US wasn't "difficult" or didn't have its own problems. I said the US and Australia each have their advantages and disadvantages.

But now you're totally changing the subject, i.e. moving the goalposts, and attempting to talk about something I never even made any comment on. In other words, I could agree with everything you said here, and in fact I could say a lot more about the problems with the US health care system, but that wasn't what we were talking about originally.

You do realize that IM is what anyone can get into, right? And they are all relegated to West Virginia.

You do realize that you're missing the point, right? I'm only answering you on your own grounds. I'm responding to what you said. Your point was that people from WVU would have little chance of getting into a lucrative specialty. I'm responding to what you said. People who match into IM have the potential to go into lucrative subspecialties like cards or heme/onc.

Besides, what's wrong with West Virginia, especially for those people from West Virginia? It's a beautiful state. I've been there.

Also, even if we forget IM, you conveniently ignore all the other lucrative specialties that WVU graduates matched into. But all these other specialties that WVU grads matched into are enough evidence to prove that you're wrong when you say WVU grads have little chance of getting into a lucrative specialty.

Last edited:
Your post

'By the way, how much do you know about America? It doesn't seem like you know much given what you've written. Also, I'm American (as well as Australian), and know both systems well enough. I have friends (and acquaintances) who are med students and interns/residents in both countries.'

I then pointed out that I am quite familiar with the American system and provided actual evidence.

You do realize that you're missing the point, right? I'm only answering you on your own grounds. I'm responding to what you said. Your point was that people from WVU would have little chance of getting into a lucrative specialty. I'm responding to what you said. People who match into IM have the potential to go into lucrative subspecialties like cards or heme/onc.

Besides, what's wrong with West Virginia, especially for those people from West Virginia? It's a beautiful state. I've been there.

If you knew anything about the system, you'd know that the IM specialties/subspecialties are not lucrative at all. IM is nearly 40-50% FMGs.

I personally love IM but to say it's lucrative in the US is disingenuous at best.

Again, nothing wrong with West Virginia at all. But to physicians and the general public, the lucrative markets are NYC and LA, and a W Virgina degree isn't getting you there. You'll also make a third of what you can make in the larger markets since nobody wants to live there.

You're the one who claimed I didn't know the system; I responded by citing evidence that the system is in shambles in America.

You don't seem to understand basic logic and grounds of argument.

Bashwell, save your breath. They obviously just want to troll.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I then pointed out that I am quite familiar with the American system and provided actual evidence.

What "evidence" are you referring to?

Not to mention other comments you make (e.g. the residency hours) reflect an ignorance of the US system.

If you knew anything about the system, you'd know that the IM specialties/subspecialties are not lucrative at all. IM is nearly 40-50% FMGs.

I personally love IM but to say it's lucrative in the US is disingenuous at best.

Um, did you read what I wrote above? Obviously not given what you write here. I never said IM is lucrative without qualifications. Rather I said IM can lead to lucrative fellowships like cards and heme/onc (especially if one matches into a good academic program). Also, I said hospitalists can do well financially for hours worked. Not that the lifestyle is worth it in my opinion, but some people are fine with it.

Also, to say cards or GI or heme/onc aren't lucrative in the US is again pure ignorance. All of these can (in private practice as a partner) command salaries in excess of $400k. For e.g. see MGMA or Medscape data. Otherwise, you must have a very high standard for what's lucrative and what's not lucrative!

However I will say it is getting harder to find PP jobs with decent partnership tracks (e.g. in general cardiology).

By the way, whether or not there is a large percentage of IMGs are in IM doesn't necessarily imply a specialty is or isn't lucrative. You need a connecting argument if that's your contention. But the fact is, IM is a huge specialty with over 6000 spots each year. Lots of these at community IM programs. Most community programs aren't as competitive as most academic programs, though it depends since some are very competitive (e.g. Cedars-Sinai).

Again, nothing wrong with West Virginia at all. But to physicians and the general public, the lucrative markets are NYC and LA, and a W Virgina degree isn't getting you there.

This is simple ignorance about the US system. For one thing, you can't make a blanket statement like this. It depends on the specialty.

Also, LA and NYC are expensive cities to live in compared to places over the Midwest or South. Cost of living is a factor. So even if salaries are the same in NYC or LA as in the Midwest or South, they'll get you further in the Midwest or South than LA or NYC.

Plus, let's take a specialty like anesthesiology. See Medscape data here. The West and Northwest where LA and NYC are respectively are at $331k, whereas the Midwest and South are higher.

You'll also make a third of what you can make it in the lager markets since nobody wants to live there.

What larger markets are you referring to? LA and NYC? If so, then you're quite wrong, generally speaking, many people do want to live in LA and NYC and their environs.

You're the one who claimed I didn't know the system; I responded by citing evidence that the system is in shambles in America.

Yes, your replies to this point still reflect an ignorance of America.

Also, I'd add your logic and reasoning abilities aren't exactly very good. I never said anything about agreeing or disagreeing the US system is in "shambles."

You don't seem to understand basic logic and grounds of argument.

Saying so doesn't make it so. But anyone can simply read what you've written and what I've written and decide for themselves whose arguments and points make more sense.

Last edited:
Why the hell would anyone want to troll?

It's called 'having an opinion.' If you want to advise someone to attend med school in the US, then by all means, it's your prerogative. I am simply outlining my reasons as to why I would never attend nor advise anyone to attend med school in the States.

Simple as that.

Bashwell, save your breath. They obviously just want to troll.

Thanks UBC. :) Good point! I'll stop for now since I think you're right!

At the very least, qldking is (sadly) a very strange and confused dude.

The last thing I'll say for now:

Why the hell would anyone want to troll?

It's called 'having an opinion.' If you want to advise someone to attend med school in the US, then by all means, it's your prerogative. I am simply outlining my reasons as to why I would never attend nor advise anyone to attend med school in the States.

Simple as that.

One obvious answer (as has already been pointed out above) is if someone wishes to live in North America (e.g. due to having friends or family there), then it makes more sense to attend med school there.

Last edited:

If you are willing to go into 400k+ debt (remember, interest on these loans is over 7% now) to max out at a salary of 250-300k after putting in years of 90-100 weeks, nonstop research, extracurriculars/brown-nosing, top marks and top scores, then US is a decent option.

Funny that I stumbled upon this tread at this time seeing as how I've never been into this subforum.

Your broad generalizations are unfounded.

I'm one of the 2014 West Virginia University SOM graduates that matched into Radiology. We have representatives attending Radiology residencies at Ohio State University (2), UVA (1), WVU (1). I'll be at UT Houston next year because I wanted to get as far from the cold as possible. I'm not sure where the other student matched (they're probably from a different campus and I don't feel like looking it up). As already has been mentioned, we also have students representing other "ROAD" specialties, as well as additional non-primary care residencies. Seeing as how we only graduated something like 84 students in our class, I'd say that a significant percentage of us went into non-primary care residencies.

I realize you were just trying to build a straw man to help with your argument. This wasn't a particularly good one, though, seeing as how my classmates and I not only matched into competitive specialties, we did so at competitive programs, and with a percentage of our class that represents match trends nationwide.

Reactions: 3 users
Haha good work. I wasn't trying to create a straw man at all. You'll need to look up the definition of that term. Again, your anecdotal evidence proves nothing. Students at UQ Ochsner have matched similarly, but the class as a whole is what matters in this simple dialectic.

I'm just going off what the published data has proven.

Also, you have proven my point that schools like West Virgina only place people in local and surrounding regions. No one from there is landing anything in Southern California or NYC.

Last edited:
That's not what you claimed above, qldking, and just as you had to after your fallacious claims about Ochsner placements were proving off the mark, you've been backpedaling. Just admit you were wrong and move on.

Last edited:
Qldking keeps moving the goalposts. But here's what he originally claimed:

What tco has shown is more than enough to disprove qldking's original assertion.

Last edited:
Also, you have proven my point that schools like West Virgina only place people in local and surrounding regions. No one from there is landing anything in Southern California or NYC.

Also, qldking is making the false assumption that people from West Virginia University didn't end up in Southern California or NYC because they couldn't get in there. However, it could just as well be for other reasons such as perhaps people from West Virginia University simply don't wish to go to Southern California or NYC.

By the way, this brings up the question, does qldking think the only parts of the US of any real value or at least popularity are Southern California and NYC? Otherwise, why does qldking seem to backhandedly disparage parts of the US outside SoCal and NYC?

I love West Virginia.

It's the easiest spot in the world to get on the nod, and the entire populace seem to be on the hillbilly ****, down to the rednecks who reside in those tin shacks in the copses where the miners turned the town toxic with fracking.

Also, qldking is making the false assumption that people from West Virginia University didn't end up in Southern California or NYC because they couldn't get in there. However, it could just as well be for other reasons such as perhaps people from West Virginia University simply don't wish to go to Southern California or NYC.

By the way, this brings up the question, does qldking think the only parts of the US of any real value or at least popularity are Southern California and NYC? Otherwise, why does qldking seem to backhandedly disparage parts of the US outside SoCal and NYC?

I'm not disparaging it at all but medical students are confrontational and antagonistic and on the constant quest for prestige and material gains. They aren't the sorts to desire to end up in a place like West Virginia; the big boys are in LA and NYC and a state school degree won't get you there.

I love West Virginia.

It's the easiest spot in the world to get on the nod, and the entire populace seem to be on the hillbilly ****, down to the rednecks who reside in those tin shacks in the copses where the miners turned the town toxic with fracking.

I'm not disparaging it at all but medical students are confrontational and antagonistic and on the constant quest for prestige and material gains. They aren't the sorts to desire to end up in a place like West Virginia; the big boys are in LA and NYC and a state school degree won't get you there.

1) You should check out other "state schools" and their match lists. Lots of them go to great residency programs including some in LA and NYC.

2) Likewise, check out an LA or NYC university like Columbia. See where their residents are from. For example, take a look at the current residents at Columbia University's Dept of Radiology (here). I notice there are several who come from "state schools" (e.g. West Virginia University, the University of Arkansas, UMDNJ-New Jersey).

3) Also, there are plenty of "big boys" outside of LA and NYC. For example, MGH (Harvard) is in Boston. Hopkins in Baltimore. UCSF in San Francisco. Stanford in Palo Alto. The Univ of WA in Seattle. UTSW in Dallas. MD Anderson in Houston. The Univ of Chicago and Northwestern in Chicago. Duke in Raleigh, NC. Emory in Atlanta. The Mayo Clinic in Minnesota. The Cleveland Clinic in Ohio. UPenn in Philly. And on and on.

4) Since you're so focused on prestige, there are plenty of non-prestigious places in LA and NYC. I'd much rather go to MGH or Hopkins than I would Kaiser Permanente in LA for a residency. Lennox Hill and St. Vincent's are both decent community residencies in NYC, but they're hardly at the same level as Duke or Emory.

5) As for "material gains," I don't see why a gastroenterologist who did their IM and GI fellowship at some "state school" (e.g. the Univ of Texas) doesn't have just as much potential to get a high paying job as a gastroenterologist graduating from NYU?

6) LA and NYC have a very high cost of living as well as taxes and other expenses which cut against your idea of "material gains."

7) I suspect you just Googled for West Virginian stereotypes in order to make fun of West Virginians. (I'm not West Virginian, but I also don't see the need to ridicule them by using pejorative terms like "hillbilly" and "rednecks.") It's like trying to describe Australians by playing off of stereotypes of being former prisoners, bogans, etc. To do so would be manifestly unfair to Australians. By parity of logic what you've written above is unfair to West Virginians as well.

8) You're also caricaturing med students. Not all med students are "confrontational and antagonistic." Not all med students are "on the constant quest for prestige and material gains."

Last edited:
Have you never been to West Virginia? It's a paradise for getting on the nod. I love it there.

Have you never been to West Virginia?

See #65.
It's a paradise for getting on the nod. I love it there.

You keep mocking West Virginia. Not sure why you're so obsessed with them.

By the way, you don't often talk like an American normally talks. Unless you're from an older generation or something.

Last edited:
See #65.

You keep mocking West Virginia. Not sure why you're so obsessed with them.

By the way, you don't often talk like an American normally talks. Unless you're from an older generation or something.

qldking, you plucked WVU out and tried to make an example to fit your argument using it and said that it was an example of why you were right. That's the definition of a straw man. I might have a redneck/hick education (or whatever else you want to call it to try to troll), but I do know that.

He's probably not from the US seeing as he thinks Texas is nearby (unless you consider 1300 miles nearby). He also has no clue as to how the salary structure works in the USA. Salaries are higher (especially in IM) in small rural hospitals, not urban ones. Rural hospitalist jobs in Montana are paying around 400k. Cities don't pay anywhere near that much. It's basic economics - supply vs demand.

WVU grads not matching at places like LA and NYC (except for Chad two years ago. I forgot about him) are more of a product of who wants to attend WVU than the school itself. There is a major selection bias because half of the class is reserved for WV natives. By and large, WV natives like to stay in WV, so they typically do residencies either at WVUH or nearby and return to WVUH as faculty.

I don't know why I'm even justifying this ignorant and stubborn position with responses. He's either narrow minded or a complete troll. Either way, people like this poster are the reason I've stopped frequenting the boards.

Reactions: 1 users
I don't know why I'm even justifying this ignorant and stubborn position with responses. He's either narrow minded or a complete troll. Either way, people like this poster are the reason I've stopped frequenting the boards.
It's people like you that the forum needs most to return, to help keep the trolls at bay.