Canadian Applying to Ireland. Would Appreciate your input. How competitive?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pockyupnose

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I would like some input regarding my situation. So I am applying through Atlantic bridge for 2016.
My GPA is 3.65
completed a degree in Nursing.
Haven't written my MCAT yet.
My EC: nurse in acute neurosurgery, and ortho floor, Pediatric complex care rehab, bariatric surgical clinic, IV team in a dental clinic. Co-founder of a NPO/Charity that involves international experience and health. Volunteered at a doctors office and overseas in an environmental group. PSW for 3 years during my nursing degree.

I have or will be getting an EU passport along with my Portuguese citizenship.

I'm not really sure if my stats are competitive for Ireland. Should I write the MCAT? AB stated that there are three schools in Ireland that take student without MCAT stats but are 5 year program. The issue with writing the MCAT is that the nursing program that I completed, didn't allow me to take any prereqs of chem, physics, biochem, etc. It would be new learning for me and I only have 5-6 months left to study for it. Is it enough time?
I am also not sure how competitive the 5 year program are. Anyone have any idea?

I'm just feeling very nervous.

Any input would be appreciated. thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
GPA is competitive enough.
If MCAT is 30+, you'll have a reasonable chance.

candidates who will have finished a Bachelor degree at the time of matriculation MUST take the MCAT.

yes, those 3 schools will consider you without the MCAT, but an MCAT will open more doors.

you'll need 2-3 months at MOST to study for the MCAT :) since you've had a Nursing degree, most of the MCAT material will look familiar to you.

GPA is competitive enough.
If MCAT is 30+, you'll have a reasonable chance.

candidates who will have finished a Bachelor degree at the time of matriculation MUST take the MCAT.

yes, those 3 schools will consider you without the MCAT, but an MCAT will open more doors.

you'll need 2-3 months at MOST to study for the MCAT :) since you've had a Nursing degree, most of the MCAT material will look familiar to you.

A) that is not true, you don't have to complete the MCAT for Bahrain, Trinity or NUI Galway. Confirmed by ABP.
B) A nursing degree does not cover a SIGNIFICANT portion of what's on the MCAT, including most of the tougher science portions.
C) An MCAT will only open more days if the OP scores higher than a ~508