[Canadian] Applying to the US. What are my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HugeCavities

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
First off, thank you guys for your help in this! I'm super anxious and have gone through many sleepless nights this week and could use any and all advice.

Date of submission: Very early this cycle (June 2nd)
Overall GPA: 3.67 with all 4 years. Steep upwards trend: 3.3 -> 3.67 -> 3.76 -> 3.94
Science GPA: 3.495
Bio-Chem-Physics GPA: (Physics will be taken this coming year) - 3.675
Canadian DAT: 23 AA, 24 Chem, 21 Bio, 24 RC, 23 PAT 22 Science Total. Did not take MDT.
State of Residence: Canada (ontario)

Undergrad Attended: York University
Major: Kinesiology & Health Science (BSc).
Reapplicant? No
Nontrad? No

Shadowing Experience: ~60 hours in Hospital Dentistry, ~300 hours in Clinical
Volunteering Experience: ~250 hours in Hospitals (this was in Highschool though)

Employment: Lifeguard Instructor Trainer (I teach people how to teach lifeguards, but I also teach lifeguards on the side and work as one), First Aid Instructor Trainer (including Healthcare Provider's first aid, mainly doctors/nurses as clientele), Swimming Instructor. I have been working almost every weekend since I was 16, so there are too many hours to count

Research: ABSOLUTELY NONE... volunteered at a lab for one summer, but never got real work to do.

Other Extracurriculars: Secretary (in exec) of Pre-Dental Club at my school, Vice-President of a fraternity (not sure if I should include this in my app??), Scholarship chairman of Frat, intramural sports, captain of my soccer team (house league level) for 5 years running.
Relevant Honors or Awards: Dean's list, Gold Star for our frat chapter (chapter excellence, runner-up for best chapter in Canada) and OFSSA medal (for competing in rugby).

LOR type and strength: KINDA WEAK; one from epidemiology prof, One from head of Toronto Rehab Hospital dentistry team, One from endodontist/faculty member at UofT dental school.
I have asked 5 professors this semester (CoVID semester), none have responded. I was relying on two profs that I went to every office hour for but they also have not responded, so the other 5 I e-mailed didn't know me very well. Still salty those 2 profs didn't reply but it is what it is. I personally feel this is the weakest part of my application.

Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere: My prereqs aren't really there, but I'm taking them all as we speak. I'm taking English and Orgo this summer, will take full course load with biochem + physics + cell bio this coming year.

School list: Literally any school that will take me. My tops are probably NYU, Temple, Detroit Mercy or Case Western, but my options are fully open.

Thank you guys so much!!

Members don't see this ad.

1) For dentistry, research is not a requirement so don't panic if you don't have any.
2) Make sure you connect with students at the schools on your list, especially looking for any other Canadian students. They should be able to give you more insight of the challenges with financial aid, visa requirements, and preparing for boards back in Canada if that is your desire. If there aren't many from Canada at that school, you should be wary.
3) On letters, it's on you to cultivate relationships with mentors and references ahead of time. Being involved with your predental club, especially as an officer, you should know how important it is to establish relationships with others. I'm not really sure what you could do other than to continue asking among the professors you have made solid relationships with.
4) You should get most of your prerequisites in before applying; they all must be completed prior to matriculation, and give yourself some months before starting (don't take any prereqs in the summer before you start). That is a lot of prereqs you are planning for the future, and as a screener, I would be hesitant to invite you since I have a lot of other applications where most of the prerequisites are already recorded. You don't need more reasons as a Canadian applicant to a US dental program for me to put your application on hold.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you @Mr.Smile12 !

For the LORs, do you think I should mention somewhere on my application about the situation, especially around CoVID? It's definitely a weak part of my application.

I don't want to sound ungrateful but my professors have kind of let me down, even though I maintained an A+ in almost all my courses this year. I made an effort to talk to most of them after class, and attend their office hours. I guess because I hadn't talked to them from March to May, they must have hesitations about writing me a LOR. Is mentioning this somewhere on the AADSAS App recommended? Or just take any hits and be ready to reapply next year (I'm okay with this).

Thank you @Mr.Smile12 !

For the LORs, do you think I should mention somewhere on my application about the situation, especially around CoVID? It's definitely a weak part of my application.

I don't want to sound ungrateful but my professors have kind of let me down, even though I maintained an A+ in almost all my courses this year. I made an effort to talk to most of them after class, and attend their office hours. I guess because I hadn't talked to them from March to May, they must have hesitations about writing me a LOR. Is mentioning this somewhere on the AADSAS App recommended? Or just take any hits and be ready to reapply next year (I'm okay with this).
I think ADEA AADSAS will have an extra essay prompt for all applicants regarding COVID-19. You should read up on that through the ADEA GoDental/ADEA AADSAS social media channels.

No, you don't have a chance to talk about your recommendations. Not all schools will place that much value on LOR's.