Canadian applying to US med schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pacocue

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I am a Canadian student who goes to Duke U. (F1 visa). My stats are: 37 MCAT, 3.9 GPA. I am mostly applying to private schools, but I am applying to some state schools as well. What are my chances of getting into California/New York state schools? Which state schools are more Canadian/International friendly? Will med schools ask why I want to apply to US med schools over Canadian med schools? One problem is that the schools that do accept Canadian/International are very competitive schools. Are there middle/lower tier schools that are Canadian/International friendly?

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know about California, but your chances of getting into a school in New York are good. My stats were not as high as yours and I got accepted to schools in New York and Michigan. I would definitely apply to Albert Einstein, Albany, and Michigan State as well as the super competitive schools you wish to attend. Many schools accept Canadians and you could probably search this forum to find a list, but I found that policies change rapidly for international students so call/e-mail the school to be sure. I doubt that medical schools will ask you why you are applying to American schools over Canadian schools. Most adcoms know that it is highly difficult to get into a Canadian school, thus many students are forced to apply to med schools in the US. They will assume it is the same with you. They may ask why you wish to go to their school though. Hope this helps.

Hi kpm

I'm a Canuck, too. Did you apply to Columbia? If so, were you successful?

Hello igloo,

I didn't apply to Columbia, but I know they accept Canadian students. Try to apply to a range of schools as you will be competing for the few spots allotted to international applicants. Let me know if you have any more questions about interviews etc. I would be glad to help. Lots of luck!