Canadian Boards..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CanuckDDS

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I was wondering if Canadian Board scores were accepted at par with American Boards Part 1 and 2? I graduated a while back and I am now hoping to pursue an OMFS residency (possibly in the States) I didn't write the American boards while in dental school, do I have to write them?

Does anyone know what residencies accept Canadian board scores?

Any info is greatly appreciated. Thanks :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

I am not aware of any American OMFS programs that accept Canadian boards. Just concentrate on American Boards Part I, that's what they look at. IMHO, I also think it's easier to achieve a high score on American boards than Canadian. All other applicants will have Part I, and it allows PDs a theoretically standardized comparison of all candidates. Hope that helps.

I am a Canadian DDS and i asked the same question as you when i was applying for a specialty in the US. A simple answer is NO. You will have to write the US part 1 at the minimum and possibly the part 2 depending on which universties you apply to. As a general rule of thumb, universities on the east coast, esp. ones near the Canadian/ US border accept a few Canadian grads. My advice to you would be to look up all the universites you are attracted to and look at their stats and prepare yourself as you need to. Canadian boards are only good for Canada, that being said we do have maybe 2 or 3 universities and now UWO that offer OMFS, so you may not have to leave buddy!

Do your homework and research for your goals well, i wish you the best of luck.

Jamster