[Canadian] Buffalo vs. Tufts vs. Touro

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cheesecakefactory

Reaction score
Hi everyone I am a Canadian applicant and I am having a hard time deciding between Buffalo, Tufts, and Touro.

Tuition and cost of living total up to $424 K for Buffalo, $444 k for Touro, $512k for tufts. I will be able to get help from my parents for half of the tuition so I mostly care about how strong the curriculum and clinical exposure is, having a sense of community in the program, and the city being fun because I have to live in it for four years.

I am hoping to specialize in the future just not 100% sure which specialty yet.

Members don't see this ad.

I normally would not advise being financially irresponsible and would usually tell you to go to the cheapest school...But if money is really not an issue then I would pick Touro. Touro is only about 25 miles from NYC and many students live in the city for their 3rd/4th years. Buffalo, imo, is not a place I would generally classify as fun. A $5k premium per year to live in Westchester/NYC over Buffalo is somewhat understandable.

tufts is an absolute no for me. Boston is nice. But not worth 70k more. No matter the reason.

*disclaimer* the actual city that Touro is located in is pretty dead. Even the surrounding cities are dead besides maybe white plains (5-10min away). The proximity to NYC is what makes it appealing (25-60min depending on traffic). You obviously won’t be going to the city every day so you’ll have to get accustomed to living in a quiet/residential area.

however as I mentioned some students choose to live either in NYC (midtown to Washington heights area) or somewhere in between Touro and the city (Bronx, Yonkers). That way the commute to school or the city is only like 15-20 minutes. Makes it much more practical to visit and enjoy the city on a more regular basis.

Last edited: