Canadian citizen and US tuition

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

strawberrybubblegum

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys!

I have a question. I'm a Canadian citizen but I will be applying to dental schools in the US next year most likely. The tuition for international students is craaaaaaazy high while US citizens have tuition that is significantly lower. I was wondering what the situation would be if I was able to obtain dual citizenship for Canada and the US, or even a green card. Would I be considered a US citizen? And if so, would my tuition be less expensive because I wouldn't be an international student? I know this is kind of a leap, but I'm honestly curious!

Thanks! :)

Members don't see this ad.

How do you plan on getting a citizenship or a green card? They don't just give those away. Cost of tuition has nothing to do with nationality. It has to do with state of residence and you have slim to none chance of getting in public school anyway.

As harsh as above poster sounds, the numbers don't lie, even with high stats

Members don't see this ad :)
yeah theres no way around im Canadian too, probobly going to wait it for a canadian school rather than spending 500k

I'm a Canadian citizen as well and I looked into this a while back. Truthfully, the above posters are right. There's really no way around it. It has to do with your state of residence, and I believe most schools will only consider you if you've been living in that state for at least a year for school, work, etc. I'm not sure how accurate my info is but this is what I gathered from speaking to a few other pre-dents and also two dental students on admission committees. Additionally, it's an extensive process to even get a green card from the states, let alone be granted citizenship.

Higher tuition fees are a struggle but it'll be worth it if you end up where you want to be. You'll eventually be able to pay it off :)

We pay the high costs if we are not admitted to our state schools too (or get into a school that allows you to change your residence after a year).

yeah theres no way around im Canadian too, probobly going to wait it for a canadian school rather than spending 500k

Of course there is. Marry an American and get your green card. Get American federal funding to go to dental school. Sacrifice your body for 3 years, then apply for citizenship. After that, do whatever you want with your American spouse.