Canadian confused as to how to write grades on application.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FutureJawBreaker

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
Im planning to apply this upcoming cycle however, I am confused as to how to write my grades for each course.
My Canadian University grading scheme is like this:
GRADING SCALE
GRADE PERCENTAGE
A+ 90-100%
A 80-89%
B 70-79%
C 60-69%
D 50-59%
F Below 50% or assigned when course is dropped with academic penalty.
They also add Western currently uses a numeric grading scale on transcripts and academic records, and as a result does not issue a grade point average for students
http://www.registrar.uwo.ca/student_records/transcripts/grading_scalegpa_conversion.html

I am at a loss on how to write them into my application.
For example I have an 83% in Biology, that is an A in my school. However, If I write in that 83 that will be converted in a B in American standards, which I can see that dropping my GPA significantly, especially since most of my A's are actually in the 80% to 89% range.
Should I write in an A instead of my percentage so I can keep my GPA the same?
How have past Canadian applicants written in their grades?

Any advice is appreciated!

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Write down exactly what's on your transcript! If it says an 83 is an A then write A (4 GPA) in AADSAS. You're pretty lucky though cuz my school considers an 83 an A-(3.66 GPA).

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using SDN mobile

Write down exactly what's on your transcript! If it says an 83 is an A then write A (4 GPA) in AADSAS. You're pretty lucky though cuz my school considers an 83 an A-(3.66 GPA).

Thank you for your help! My transcript will only show the 83. Not the A. Because of the statement above by my university they will not write letter grades on transcripts.

My concern is when AADSAS does the gpa verification and they see the 83% and not an A on my transcript that they will think its not valid or that I lied?
How can they know what my schools grading scale is? My biggest worry is that the schools will the 83% and immediately see B's instead of A's

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Members don't see this ad :)
I was born in the wrong country.

Reactions: 3 users
Thank you for your help! My transcript will only show the 83. Not the A. Because of the statement above by my university they will not write letter grades on transcripts.

My concern is when AADSAS does the gpa verification and they see the 83% and not an A on my transcript that they will think its not valid or that I lied?
How can they know what my schools grading scale is? My biggest worry is that the schools will the 83% and immediately see B's instead of A's

Thanks!

The grading scale usually appears on the back of official transcripts (it did for mine). You should order an official transcript now just to check.

Canadian dental schools pretty much throw out your application if you don't have at least a 3.8, so it has its downsides!

And the schools in my province at least a 3.9!

Why is it like that? Just due to the grading scale?

Cuz they don't have a lot of seats! I'm pretty sure that NYU alone has more seats than most of Canada combined!

Reactions: 1 users
Cuz they don't have a lot of seats! I'm pretty sure that NYU alone has more seats than most of Canada combined!

Yeah. And for that reason if you don't have a 3.9 you don't even get considered for an interview.

Ok. So you recommend I just write the letter grade A and not the percentage right? as they will be able to see the percentage anyway?

Thanks again. I was stressing so much over this.

Yeah. And for that reason if you don't have a 3.9 you don't even get considered for an interview.

Ok. So you recommend I just write the letter grade A and not the percentage right? as they will be able to see the percentage anyway?

Thanks again. I was stressing so much over this.

I'm pretty sure the transcript will have letter grades, but if not it should have a scale, and in that case just convert your grades according to that scale and write it on AADSAS. I'm also applying this year and it is pretty stressful (especially with uploading the cDAT)! I ordered an official transcript last month just to check it out and the letter grades were written after each percentage grade! Hope this helps! PM me if you need help with anything else.