• SDN Site Updates

Hey everyone! The site will be down for approximately 2 hours on Thursday, August 5th for site updates.

Dr. Yankem

10+ Year Member
Jul 19, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
Just curious as to how many SDNers are gonna be writing the cDAT this saturday at U of T?
I'm so bogged down with work at the moment that I have no time to study, including a microbiology midterm the friday before the DAT...
Also just a question, does anyone know if we are allowed to bring latex gloves into the test, for the carving section? I can only seem to carve a decent soap with the gloves so I'm hoping the answer is yes...

keving

10+ Year Member
Apr 14, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student
When I took it last Feb some people wore latex gloves, but IMO, that takes away from the "feel" of the soap. What I used was alcohol spray to reduce the sweat, and I'm good to go! G'luck

Dr. Yankem

10+ Year Member
Jul 19, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
oh ok, sounds good. How did you find the cDAT, were you well prepped?

About the Ads

keving

10+ Year Member
Apr 14, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student
I prepped myself for 1-2 weeks prior by doing some sample tests from IQ publications, and going over 1st year bio and chem stuff. I also carved around 12 pieces of soap!

prez_al

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 17, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
When I took it last Feb some people wore latex gloves, but IMO, that takes away from the "feel" of the soap. What I used was alcohol spray to reduce the sweat, and I'm good to go! G'luck
went au natural and carving was a piece of cake given the time I took to prepare (maybe 6 pieces of soap) and maybe 3 days of reading.

keving

10+ Year Member
Apr 14, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student
I wish schools (canadian schools included) would look at carving more. I mean, sure you can teach anyone the manual dexterity needed for dentistry, but imagine what you could do with someone with amazing manual dexterity right out of the box! They'll be the Picasso for the teeth!

Dr. Yankem

10+ Year Member
Jul 19, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
I don't think the soap carving is great a predictor for dental school success...That's probably why U of T doesn't even look at the carving score (although other Canadian schools do take it seriously)...

cute_in_pink

10+ Year Member
Oct 2, 2006
CANADA
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
im writing them tomorrow! im super nevous and i cant believe how we have to be downtown @ 8am!!
do u know wat time we should be out at? 1230ish???

keving

10+ Year Member
Apr 14, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student
When I wrote it they were running really late... I think I got out at around 1-2. Bring lots of snacks so you don't faint with hunger :p

and also, good luck!

Dr. Yankem

10+ Year Member
Jul 19, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
So yeah I wrote the DAT today at U of T. Other that the PAT, which was expected to be challenging, the Reading Comprehension section was unreal. There was a passage on Epidemiology (cholera outbreaks etc.), Lightning and Stirling Engines (and environmental effects etc.). The passages were longer than anticipated and on top of that the questions (some of them) were much more in-depth that I expected. I started by looking at questions and searching for answers...I would not recommend this to others...the next time I write the DAT (which I most likely will), I'll take the time to go through the passage once, prior to looking at the questions...

Dr. Yankem

10+ Year Member
Jul 19, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
So yeah I wrote the DAT today at U of T. Other that the PAT, which was expected to be challenging, the Reading Comprehension section was unreal. There was a passage on Epidemiology (cholera outbreaks etc.), Lightning and Stirling Engines (and environmental effects etc.). The passages were longer than anticipated and on top of that the questions (some of them) were much more in-depth that I expected. I started by looking at questions and searching for answers...I would not recommend this to others...the next time I write the DAT (which I most likely will), I'll take the time to go through the passage once, prior to looking at the questions...

cute_in_pink

10+ Year Member
Oct 2, 2006
CANADA
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
i too wrote them this morning, so long and boring, i screwed up the carving tho i think i was too nervous, i did the dimensions backwards, like the triangle 20mm long and other side 10mm i was SOO Pissed off...do u know how much u could lose for that in terms of marks? saying that my carving was pretty good...lol i feel like such an idiot doing that
other than that the pat was kinda tricky, angles were tough surprisingly all u could hear was pples moving there books upside down the whole time and for the reading i was prepared for the fast fast 1 question/minute and i was surprised when i saw 3 girls near me fill in C's all the way down for the last 10 questions or so...
overall, us vs. canadian....i guess i can fully answer that once i get my scores...6-8weeks ughhhh
btw Dr.yenkam...u from u of t? applying next yr?? (its good to see canadian students on this thing) :D

keving

10+ Year Member
Apr 14, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student
I guess I was lucky when I took them last year. For the RC part, the passages were the evolution of antibacterial resistance, meteors and asteroids, and some other really easy topic that I already knew... I think if you carve the wrong figure (including getting the dimensions wrong), then you automatically get below a certain score. Don't worry though, UofT barely cares about carving :(... For the angles did you use the corner of your answer sheet to compare similar angles? I'd like to think I invented that... but then i'd just be ignorant:p

Jaba

S.mutans
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 19, 2005
Canada
Status (Visible)
Hey, I also wrote the DAT that day. I didn't find it that bad, but then again its very hard to know for sure. I do know that I ended up guessing a lot of the last section because I had no idea that I wouldn't be able to get food anywhere. I couldn't think properly anymore!

Are you guys planning on writing in November?

Jeffrey

cute_in_pink

10+ Year Member
Oct 2, 2006
CANADA
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
stupid carving! no i didnt use ur technique...i like it tho! i actaully did the left side opposite, like swtiched it. 20mm triangle and 10mm fluted end....like the measurements are are correct but i did the left as the right and vise versa :( i think i was overly nervous!
lol yes and i would like to argee that it was a very tiring experience! the breaks made it a bit better, but wow i was dying after!
keving - do u have any idea below wat score they may grade it? true that u of t doesn't care but detroit does (for some reason) and i like that school.
im gonna wait for my scores to decide if i wanna take them over...
are u guys only applying to cdn schools or the us too? anyone write the american dats?
:)

keving

10+ Year Member
Apr 14, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student
hey cute, the only sure thing i know is that if you break it, that's an automatic 0 :( . i think if you carve the wrong structure it might be a 10 or so :( . but you can always explain to detroit that the soap carving isn't representative of your manual dexterity, and stuff like that :)
i applied to a few american schools REALLY late, and also UBC, UWO, and UT this time... i'm really not happy about my chances with the canadian schools, as it's so competitive .. you?

Dr. Yankem

10+ Year Member
Jul 19, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
I'm most likely going to have to rewrite the DAT in november. It's too bad really, because I think I did really well on the SNS and maybe even the PAT section. The RC is really what got me, not to mention the carving (but I care less about that section). I am only applying to Canadian schools, actually, I'm only applying to schools in Ontario (i.e. UWO and U of T).

keving

10+ Year Member
Apr 14, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student
Dr. Yankem, didn't you get accepted to american schools? May i ask why you aren't planning on attending?

Dr. Yankem

10+ Year Member
Jul 19, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
Haha..you must be thinking of someone else...I haven't even applied to ANY schools yet....I think I was told by prez_al a while back that I may have a name similar to another SDNer and that's probably what's raising all the confusion...

About the Ads
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.