Canadian DAT Scores - How did everyone do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CanadaDent

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Now that everyone should be receiving their DAT scores from November, let's see how everyone did. I think it's nuts that if you go a 19 in Bio you were in the top 90%. Anyway, my scores are:

RC: 21
BIO: 19
CHEM: 21
TS: 20
AA: 20
PAT: 20
CARVING: 23

Members don't see this ad.

I wish American DAT had soap carving. I would have so much fun. Would rush through other parts just to get to it :)

I wish American DAT had soap carving. I would have so much fun. Would rush through other parts just to get to it :)

You wouldn't have to because its first thing in the morning at 8 AM :scared: lol

I'm in Calgary so I haven't gotten my scores yet. At least as of yesterday... Maybe they're coming today :O.

Now that everyone should be receiving their DAT scores from November, let's see how everyone did. I think it's nuts that if you go a 19 in Bio you were in the top 90%. Anyway, my scores are:

RC: 21
BIO: 19
CHEM: 21
TS: 20
AA: 20
PAT: 20
CARVING: 23

Would anyone be able to post the percentiles for 20's across the board? I just want to see how ridiculously effed this november DAT was

Members don't see this ad :)
Canadian dental schools are hardcore. It is tough for you guys. I'm in Cali, so I suffer a bit also.

okay so i did get my scores back today...

Reading 20
Biology 23
Chemistry 21
Total Science 22
Academic Avg 21
Perceptual 23
Carving.......................TWENTY EFFING NINE!! 29?!?! OMG 29!!!1

OMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMG

Reading 20
Biology 23
Chemistry 21
Total Science 22
Academic Avg 21
Perceptual 23

HAHAHAHAHA, congrats to your 29. maybe you should switch to carpentry ;)

screw the 29 in carving...>20 IN THE SCIENCES?! that's amazing!..that's well above the 90th %ile, no?

I'm not completely sure about the percentiles because I'm in Edmonton and my very arabic mother read me my scores over the phone, but according to her my percentiles were

Carving - 100
Biology - 100
Chemistry - 92
Perceptual - 98
Reading - ....78
Total science - 100
Academic Average - 98

I sure hope she's right lol

I'm not completely sure about the percentiles because I'm in Edmonton and my very arabic mother read me my scores over the phone, but according to her my percentiles were

Carving - 100
Biology - 100
Chemistry - 92
Perceptual - 98
Reading - ....78
Total science - 100
Academic Average - 98

I sure hope she's right lol

woooowwwwww, in whaat effing world is a 22 TS = 100th %ile..that's just unfair for us. A 100th%ile in the states would probably be a 29. Congrats to you..that's amazing

hi guys im really considering whether i should retake it or not right now so my score is

RC:21
Bio:18
Chm:19
TS:18
AA:19
PAT:20
Car: 5 :D

Im applying for uoft and uwo so carving doesnt matter and Ive heard Feb dat is better then this dreaded nov one. However Im afraid my RC will drop considering its okay for uwo interview.
So whats people think?

Members don't see this ad :)
woooowwwwww, in whaat effing world is a 22 TS = 100th %ile..that's just unfair for us. A 100th%ile in the states would probably be a 29. Congrats to you..that's amazing

Yeah honestly it's a little bit disappointing because the standard scores are what matter, but, i really really should not complain. And take those percentiles with a grain of salt because like I said I got my mom to read them to me off the back of the paper and she isn't 100% fluent in english. I'm gunning for the U of A though so the carving is really what matters and I'm so happy I nailed it :D Thanks for the congratulations :D

haha you guys did awesome im happy with my scores though

Reading...19
Bio.........19
Chem......18
Percep....20
Carving...16

I think i will write again in feb because the school i am applying for takes the highest dat score no matter how many times you write

I know, it's whack. My AA on the US DAT was 22 and that's 95.4th percentile. My AA of 21 on the CDAT was 98th percentile. What's the point of making a 1-30 scale if 23 is 100th percentile in every category? I might as well say I scored 21/23.

WTF??? That's insane - do the schools take this into account? I mean, especially if you apply to the US, the scales do not even match...

Canadians dents probably suffer a bit because the scores for cDAT are much lower if you are not looking at the %s.

Yeah no they just look at the standard number. I guess the good thing is people applying to canadian schools this year probably have this year's dat scores, so it might balance out.. maybe

Yeah no they just look at the standard number. I guess the good thing is people applying to canadian schools this year probably have this year's dat scores, so it might balance out.. maybe

Sure, if you apply to canadian schools then it's all fair.

only problem is..I would guess that less than 50% of the students have scores from the Nov 2008 DAT..

But I'm sure that CDA members aren't stupid and accounted for these low average scores

I haven't received my scores yet haha

Does anyone know what the PAT cut off score is for UfT?

What sections of the cDAT does UofT look at/consider? Is PAT one of them?

..... OK, I just read that UofT looks at Academic Average and PAT. There's no indication as to whether there is a cutoff for these sections but the average matriculant has a 21 AA and a 19 PAT.

Last edited:
What sections of the cDAT does UofT look at/consider? Is PAT one of them?

..... OK, I just read that UofT looks at Academic Average and PAT. There's no indication as to whether there is a cutoff for these sections but the average matriculant has a 21 AA and a 19 PAT.

a 21 and 19 lol..oh good, that's like the 100th %ile for the november DAT. Not unrealistic expectations at all...

Would anyone be able to post the percentiles for 20's across the board? I just want to see how ridiculously effed this november DAT was

If you got a 20 in each section this is the percentile you would be in:

RC: 78%
BIO: 97%
CHEM: 86%
TOT SCI: 95%
PAT: 80%
AA: 92%
Carving: 80% for a 19 and 90% for a 23

If you got a 20 in each section this is the percentile you would be in:

RC: 78%
BIO: 97%
CHEM: 86%
TOT SCI: 95%
PAT: 80%
AA: 92%
Carving: 80% for a 19 and 90% for a 23

excellent! we november DATers have an awesome advantage! 20 AA = 92% yes! :eek:

Reading 20
Biology 23
Chemistry 21
Total Science 22
Academic Avg 21
Perceptual 23

Holy crap, that carving score is insane, congrats.

Can you give any tips on carving? How many soaps did you carve?

Holy crap, that carving score is insane, congrats.

Can you give any tips on carving? How many soaps did you carve?

Hehe hey thanks :D

The best advice I can give is to practise a lot, but you have to be really brutal on yourself in terms of criticism. I did a total of ~35 soaps but I really think that only the last 10 counted. I started in like May, but I was doing one a week up until around October which was a total waste of money because I did not improve that way. I took a Rock the DAT course which was great, they gave me a lot of really good feedback. Make sure you do at least 10 soaps the week before your test, and do like 5 of them the night before. Just be really really hard on yourself, reuse soaps (like turn flutes into notches), and don't get discouraged.

Hey DrJay3232,

I live in Vic and haven't received anything yet...I've been darting to the mailbox everyday too. Hopefully soon though!

Great scores, everyone. What did you guys use to study for the chem section?

hey everyone, great scores. I am trying to rais my score in chm and RC. please inform me what materials and techniques of studying i can use to improve my scores.

here are my grades:
Bio: 20
CHM: 17
PAT: 16
RC: 14
carving: 29

science: 19
AA: 17

i used:

chem:
princton
destroyer
kaplan BB
examkrackers

bio:
Kaplan bb & mcat
destroyer

PAT:
crack the pat

carving:
just practice

please help me out

Last edited:
finally got my Canadian DAT scores back.. was mailed to my Univ address:
Crazy how low the standardized score is compared to the percentile...

TS 21 - 98%
AA 22 - 99%
PAT 22 - 95%
Carving 14 - 52% (crud.. so much for UBC... my hometown school :'( )

overall I am pretty happy. I was really worried that I would get sub 20s across the board. I was really apprehensive of opening the letter... now I'm going to reward myself with some Gossip Girl! lol

Hi guys.. I got my DAT results!!

BIO-18 (it was so random.. I studied teh most for this section and it ended up being my lowest score)
RC-20
CHEM-21
AA-20
PAT-19
CARVING-19

I honestly don't know what to make of the scores... I mean do I have a decent shot or no? gpa is 4.05 and hopefully it'll go up by the end of the year. hahaha. I'm applying to university of Manitoba only. So.. what do you guys think??

P.S. 29 in carving is freakin IMPRESSIVE!!! awesome job!

is that a 4.05 on the 4.3 scale? convert that to the 4.0 scale, because that's what normal canadian schools use.....
where are you from and where are you applying Zia?

Hi guys.. I got my DAT results!!

BIO-18 (it was so random.. I studied teh most for this section and it ended up being my lowest score)
RC-20
CHEM-21
AA-20
PAT-19
CARVING-19

I honestly don't know what to make of the scores... I mean do I have a decent shot or no? gpa is 4.05 and hopefully it'll go up by the end of the year. hahaha. I'm applying to university of Manitoba only. So.. what do you guys think??

P.S. 29 in carving is freakin IMPRESSIVE!!! awesome job!

I'm from manitoba.... and i'll be applying to university of manitoba.
oh and the gpa is on a 4.5 scale. ummmm ..I have a stupid question...How do you convert it to a 4.0 scale??

Hey, figured I'd put my scores up here and I agree that the scores were ridiculously low this year...
TS 20
AA 21
PAT 23
Soap 16

Good luck to everybody!

How does one get their hands on a practice canadian DAT?

There's a program called topscore that offers a Canadian version with 3 mock DATs. It's done on the computer though, but it's still good practise. If you wanna simulate a real DAT though you'll have to do a carving on your own before the tests.

WOW...it sounds sooo tempting to do. I am good at carving, then again does any1 know what type of object they expect u to carve out?

Hi illbirz

The soap is cylindrical and is 84 mm long and the radius is 16 mm.
There are three carved areas, the two end and the middle. the sides can be squares or triangles etc.
If you do decide to take the Canadian DAT I would definitely recommend buying the IQ publication's How to carve book. It's only about 30 bucks. It has a lot of practice "tests" and the teach you some nice techniques.
Also when you order the Craving kit (the full one) from the Canadian Dental Association they send you a little book with a practice DAT, it also has some carving tips.
Hope this helps!! ;)

The soap is cylindrical and is 84 mm long and the radius is 16 mm.
There are three carved areas, the two end and the middle. the sides can be squares or triangles etc.
If you do decide to take the Canadian DAT I would definitely recommend buying the IQ publication's How to carve book. It's only about 30 bucks. It has a lot of practice "tests" and the teach you some nice techniques.
Also when you order the Craving kit (the full one) from the Canadian Dental Association they send you a little book with a practice DAT, it also has some carving tips.
Hope this helps!! ;)
to add some things:
ditto on the IQ publications: for the most part, very useful...
radius is 8mm, diameter is 16mm
the sides (aka the ends of the cylindrical soap) can be notched and fluted ends in addition to squares/triangles/variations of the two.
measurements are also given.