Canadian DAT scores.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dental2012

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
waiting on Canadian DAT scores. Then will decide if I need to take the American DAT. Anyone waiting for the Canadian scores? Wow ADA lets you see the scores right away! Can you believe it?
I am praying to God for really high scores especially in all the sections. hehe. Believe in miracles.

Members don't see this ad.

CDA is taking a LOT of time to send out results for the canadian DAT. They said 4-6 weeks on their website so it could be this week....you never know.

how'd you find the DAT dental2012?

i thought it was hard. I got out of the exam not knowing how i did. I can always have a feel for how I did but this time I didnt. It was not my first time taking the CDAT. I did bad on the RC in my opinion but I dont know. I thought carving was ok. Pat was hard so Iam really praying for a miracle. HOw did you find it?

It was my first time taking it. PAT wasn't too bad. Carving, i chipped off 2 parts of the soap...nothing big but probably will lose marks on it for sure. RC, ran out of time at the end so need to prepare better if i am writing it in feb.

Members don't see this ad :)
hey. I also wrote it on Nov.... I realllly wish they would hurry with the scores... All schools are waiting for it, and the cycle seems to be almost coming to an end.

Have you guys wrote the american DAT as well?

hey. I also wrote it on Nov.... I realllly wish they would hurry with the scores... All schools are waiting for it, and the cycle seems to be almost coming to an end.

Have you guys wrote the american DAT as well?
I know, CDA takes way tooo long. I am really getting worried here since we still havent gotten our scores. I amwaiting and hoping that I dont have to do the American DAT. lets see. have you taken the american DAT?

I know, CDA takes way tooo long. I am really getting worried here since we still havent gotten our scores. I amwaiting and hoping that I dont have to do the American DAT. lets see. have you taken the american DAT?

they are so rude at the CDA...wow....And if I dont get in this cycle because of the scores or because it was "late", then I will be writing the American DAT.

I have not taken the American one, but I think it is more fair than the one we have here in Canada. For one, where on earth did some of those biology/chemistry questions come from? I studied the blue book and a few other bio books and the questions were very abstract....

what about you, where have you applied this cycle?

i wrote my first cdn dat this nov. and i found the biology really tough:eek:. the questions were weird and definately nothing like the subjects in kaplans book or the IQ publication:confused::confused: ( those one are suppose to be a good representation fo the canadian dat) anyhow... we should get the results back soon... i am actually terrified:eek: from the results cuz if i dont do well i would have to re-apply again next year :mad:which sucks cuz i am doing my fourth year right now. does anyone know if when is the last date to do the american dat in order to be accepted in this cycle? or its already too late.

Any idea how hard is the QR section of the american?

i wrote the cdat in november too. I cant wait to get it back. It will either be the best day or worst day of my life. I dont even want to think about studying for it again. It sucks that they put the dat right in the middle of both sememsters. I agree with drdeeeena, they were som really wierd bio questions. Apparenly the QR section is pretty tough but I think the organic secion is easy if you are alright at organic

Mail came in this morning. Still no sign of DAT scores. I wish they'd hurry up! Except for carving, it was scantron. How long can it take to score?? :mad:

I think they do this on purpose so that you'll sign up for the February DAT beforehand, thinking it will fill up, even if it turns out you did well enough that you don't need to retake it.

Mail came in this morning. Still no sign of DAT scores. I wish they'd hurry up! Except for carving, it was scantron. How long can it take to score?? :mad:

I think they do this on purpose so that you'll sign up for the February DAT beforehand, thinking it will fill up, even if it turns out you did well enough that you don't need to retake it.

I think they dont want Canadians going to American dental schools so they love to delay it... like you said, how long does it take to mark a scantron. Its jokes. Not everyone has a 3.9 GPA in this country.....

I took CDAT this Nov too.
I applied to one school only this year (UBC).
I thought of applying to US schools but I thought it was too late.
Hopefully, I did alright on mine......
And does anyone know if US schools prefer DAT over CDAT?

I GOT MY DAT SCORES. I AM HAPPY WITH EVERYTHING BUT carving is a disaster... i know they broke it during shipping. wth happened. i am soooo MAD and sad with carving! But overall I am glad i gotmy scores since i was dying because of waiting for them for sooo long.

hey dental 2012, just wondering if u the same as the dmd 2012 on the premed forum? are u from ontario? i think u r the only one who got hte scores. sorry to hear abt ur carving.
no dat scores for me yet :scared::scared:

Members don't see this ad :)
i m not losing hope. i m still praying for a miracle. so lets see. u will get them soon. I got my mail this morning. my mom opened it while i was returning from the gym, she opened the door, and had a worried look on her face. she was worried i would cry. I started crying before i saw them. my sister's heart was pacing as well. I think this whole process got my whole family so worried. They are more worried for me because they dont know how I will handle it not because of what will happen.

Guys maybe you will get your scores tomorrow.

I GOT MY DAT SCORES. I AM HAPPY WITH EVERYTHING BUT carving is a disaster... i know they broke it during shipping. wth happened. i am soooo MAD and sad with carving! But overall I am glad i gotmy scores since i was dying because of waiting for them for sooo long.

Oh my goodness! Me too! I thought I absolutely dominated carving and did horrible on it. Everything else, I got 21's across the board. But carving, a freaking 13!! When I handed it in, I was sure they were going to tear down Michealangelo's David and put my soap up instead. I don't know what went wrong. Is it possible it would have broken on the way there? Where'd you take your test? I took mine at U of T.

yeah i took it there too. if you got 21 across boards, you would get in 13 on carving doesnt matter. which uni are you at?

yeah i took it there too. if you got 21 across boards, you would get in 13 on carving doesnt matter. which uni are you at?

U of T. Lets wait and see if any more U of T takers had abnormal carving scores. I hope they do. Maybe something happened. *crosses fingers*

i took it at U of T centre too... didnt got my scores yet, but i am really scared right now from the whole results. I have exam tomorrow and i cant stop thinking abt the DAT.... oh GOD.:scared:

anyhow i wrote it on the first floor room round the corner from the main door, do u think they might dropped the whole carving box during transportation:confused:? Oh God that would be such a disaster!:scared:

U of T. Lets wait and see if any more U of T takers had abnormal carving scores. I hope they do. Maybe something happened. *crosses fingers*

I wrote at U of T as well, however I got a 26 on carving... maybe they didn't drop all of them.

Funny thing though, i specifically remember one box was over full; soaps were piled so high they were out of the container when they collected them, so it is possible that some of them fell :thumbdown:

I was in the downstairs room

I wrote at U of T as well, however I got a 26 on carving... maybe they didn't drop all of them.

Funny thing though, i specifically remember one box was over full; soaps were piled so high they were out of the container when they collected them, so it is possible that some of them fell :thumbdown:

I was in the downstairs room

I was also in the downstairs one. Were you part of the "group" that they had to re-label tags for because they messed up the numbers?

i am telling you that something is messedup. i wrote it in teh downstairs room at uft tooo. i know my carving was awesome because it looked perfect. I havent scored below a 20 in any of my carvings before.i have taken the dat before.... either way my PAT is low so I have no chance in canada. i hate the DAT.

i am telling you that something is messedup. i wrote it in teh downstairs room at uft tooo. i know my carving was awesome because it looked perfect. I havent scored below a 20 in any of my carvings before.i have taken the dat before.... either way my PAT is low so I have no chance in canada. i hate the DAT.

21 across is nice! how did you prep for the exam?

I was also in the downstairs one. Were you part of the "group" that they had to re-label tags for because they messed up the numbers?
I didn't have a problem with the numbers, but I seem to recall what you were talking about

if you entered the room, I was seated near the middle-back on the left side

I didn't have a problem with the numbers, but I seem to recall what you were talking about

if you entered the room, I was seated near the middle-back on the left side

cool. yea there were far to many ppl to remember a face. I was near the front to the very left of the room.

I felt odd about the biology and chemistry section. I studied a few of the resources, and it seems as if I could have done without it....If I dont get >20, I don't know how i'd study for it differently.

cool. yea there were far to many ppl to remember a face. I was near the front to the very left of the room.

I felt odd about the biology and chemistry section. I studied a few of the resources, and it seems as if I could have done without it....If I dont get >20, I don't know how i'd study for it differently.

lol, I didn't expect you to remember me haha, I just meant that thats where I was sitting, and that if you were in that same area, maybe your soap was OK?

lol, I didn't expect you to remember me haha, I just meant that thats where I was sitting, and that if you were in that same area, maybe your soap was OK?

hahah, true... umm yea I know that the area that I was sitting in the box was already quite high with soap.. crappp i hope mine didnt break... i'll be pisssed to the max.

I don't think the Ontario schools care for carving anymore and they don't look at it for the US schools, so I wouldn't be too worried about it.

prez_al, you have such amazing stats and you are representing the canadians down there in the US of A! wow, some killer stats and you went to MAC, my bro's alma mater! how do u like it there? or do u go to school here in ontario? With your stats, I am sure every canadian school would want you.

vancouverite here....no scores yet. hopefully tmrw, or else i'm gonna have to wait ALL WEEKEND. gah, so frustrating.

Yea, I live in Vancouver as well, and I have not gotten it yet.
Do mails come one weekends as well??

check that,
just got them in the mail today.

overall im fairly happy with me scores. I didnt really change that much from last year with the exception of reading comp. plus it seems like my entire summer of carving didnt pay off ( i onlyimproved one point...I will never understand how they mark it, I know FOR SURE that I did a way better job than last year).

carving - 15
bio - 18
chem - 19
PAT - 22
RC - 30
AA - 22

anyone have any insight on how these scores would look to mcgill? I cant find any decent info on how they evaluate the DAT...

...Okay guys I'm pissed off cause this is my 3rd time writing the CDAT. Once again, my scores are average as hell:

RC 20
BIO 19 <- WTF:mad:
CHEM 20
SCI TOTAL 20
AA 20
PAT 20
CARVING 12 <- WTF:mad:

I'm from Alberta and applied to a few schools in the US... LATE THAT IS. We're talking submitted in November and still haven't done some of those supplementary fees/forms they send to you after. I applied to Dalhousie, UT and UWO in Canada, but I'm considered OOP for all of these schools. My GPA is pretty much average, with Science GPA a little above average. This is my 4th year in school, pretty much got a 4.0 GPA this year but it doesn't really matter since the only school that looks at your "current" year is Dalhousie. They also look at carving. I'm thinking of rewriting a FOURTH time, but I'm not sure if that will screw my chances at UT or UWO next year. I also never want to write that crap again.

So what's the opinions on this one? Should I rewrite in February or just pray I at least get an interview?

Alco,
Where are you in Alberta? I'm in Lethbridge and I am still waiting for my scores. It's really too bad about your carving. Everything else is looking pretty good, no? The marking on those soaps seems so random. I have some people tell me they sucked and scored in the twenties, while others tell me they thought they nailed it and got in the low teens or worse. It seems like such a crapshoot. I certainly hope that I can pull off at least a 15 so that I am eligible for the U of A. My Bio score is going to suck so I don't think my US applications will be successful. Anyway, good luck to you. I think that you should probably have a shot somewhere for this cycle because not everyone considers the soap. A near 4.0 in your final year should also tell the admission boards something about your work ethic. I am also in my fourth year and, like you, I applied quite late. If it doesn't work out this year, I'll try again next year. It is definitely the kind of career that is worth the wait.

Hey dgundy,
I'm located right in the hells of Calgary. I missed the deadline for UofA by 2 hours :mad::mad: and they told me "better luck next year, get bent." Either way the carving for me has been the biggest challenge... I got autorejected last year because my score was below cutoff. I can't seem to improve my scores significantly either. I'm not ******ed at manual dexterity or anything either. It is really random cause I thought I at least scored a 15 this time around and was sure I didn't mess up or chip anything. I may have undercut the triangle portion, but it wasn't a TWELVE!!

The thing is most schools don't even look at your "current" year, so my GPA won't matter at all even if I get 4.0s all across the board. I know next year I will get into one dents, I just don't feel like waiting around for a year working for the CHR or whatever I can do with a Kinesiology degree. Its frustrating to know that I'll have to spend another year here in Calgary. I guess this career is worth waiting for, but I plan on specializing after and I have always wanted to be as young as possible when I do get out into the workforce.

BTW I heard UofA's dental program isn't the best... lol

Enough of my ranting though, good luck on your DATs they should be arriving tomorrow for sure.

Hey Alco,
I hear ya on the hells of Calgary. I also hear you on the not wanting to wait another year thing. I'm not getting any younger either. It was actually my first time writing the DAT though. I am a history major, but I will also have all of my Dental pre-reqs finished when I graduate in April. The MA and PhD in history take about 8-9 years to complete.....that's after 4 years of undergrad. Then, when you have finished your 13 years, you can expect to earn a modest 50-60k......that's if you get a job of course. Not surprisingly, I have chosen dentistry. I've always been interested in both, but dentistry is certainly the way to go for me. Besides, a dentist can still be a closet historian, but a historian should stay the hell away from dental instruments if you know what I'm saying. Another year won't be that bad, even if you intend on specializing. Hit the trades up there and make some money....just don't lose a finger in a skill saw accident....that would suck. I'll post the DATs when they show up.....good or bad.

Haha yeah PhD is not worth it IMO, unless you have a passion to be an academic for the rest of your life. I respect anyone who can devote their life to helping others gain knowledge like that.

I don't think another year here would be terrible, but there's just nothing here for me anymore. I'm not going to apply to other programs which I know I could get into (Pharmacy/Physiotherapy) because its not something I would be interested in doing for the rest of my life.

Its great to see "non-traditional" predents, especially in Humanities. I admit I'm pretty much a traditional applicant because I am getting a BSc in Kinesiology. At least its better than biological sciences and chem where you'd be ripping your hair out trying to find a job after graduation. Well, I wish you good luck with your DAT, hopefully you did better than I did on the carving:)

ok, I got my scores on thursday, but I wanted to get some opinions from you canadian folks about how they stack up for canadian schools...

2007 CANADIAN DAT (most recent)
Reading &#8211; 24
Biology &#8211; 19
Chemistry &#8211; 16
Science Average &#8211; 18
Academic Average &#8211; 20
PAT &#8211; 24
Carving &#8211; 26

2006 CANADIAN DAT
Reading &#8211; 17
Biology &#8211; 19
Chemistry &#8211; 17
Science Average &#8211; 18
Academic Average &#8211; 18
PAT &#8211; 21
Carving &#8211; 20

stupid chemistry!

I don't think canadian schools have access to past DAT scores, do they? I didn't have them sent out anywhere last year, so I don't think they would see it

I live in vancouver and I finally got my scores. I absolutely baffled by my scores. I cannot explain for the life of me my carving and chemistry scores, but I will take it and run

RC 21
BIO 21
CHEM 30
PAT 19
CARVING 28
TS 24
AA 24

I live in Vancouver, and I just got my scores as well.
This was my first time taking DAT.

Reading comp: 21
Biology: 22
Chemistry: 26
Percention: 27
Carving 28

Science total: 24
Academic total:23

I live in Vancouver, and I just got my scores as well.
This was my first time taking DAT.

Reading comp: 21
Biology: 22
Chemistry: 26
Percention: 27
Carving 28

Science total: 24
Academic total:23

I wish I had your scores. Can you tell me how you studied for this exam? PM me please!!

Hey all,
No, I do not have scores anything like JJJ. Those scores are a thing to behold. Anyway, I am applying to the University of Alberta and my applicable DAT scores are

PAT 21
Reading 20
Soap 17

My cum GPA is 3.95 and my prerequisite GPA is 3.93. Does anyone know if this combination of scores is competitive for Alberta?

Absolutely competitive. Especially if you’re an Alberta resident. Your GPA is excellent!!

Thanks for the confidence booster Ital. I was worried about that soap. I knew that I had to get the 15 to be considered. That DAT is no simple procedure. Are you going for Alberta as well? I am an Alberta Resident. I actually still have two of my prerequisite courses to do in the spring, but everything will be done by the end of April. I will do my best to keep the GPA up. It certainly is a competitive program. Hope everything goes well for you, and maybe I'll see you at interviews.

No I didnt apply to alberta this year as they require you to have taken 30 credits in one fall/winter year. Im only in my third year so next year I am going to make sure that I take 30 credits. Having said that Im not pinning my hopes on alberta as I am from BC and they only accept a couple out of province students. The date still hasnt passed for manitoba so I will probably apply there!!

Has anyone still not received their DAT scores in the mail? I like in Kelowna BC so the mail might take a bit longer, but it seems like pretty much everyone has their scores by now.

Is the following score competitive for UBC or any other Canadian dental school?

Reading – 20
Biology – 19
Chemistry – 24
Science Average – 21
Academic Average – 21
PAT – 27
Carving – 23