Canadian DAT vs. American DAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DeeDee

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone know FOR SURE whether the Canadian DAT can be used instead of the American DAT when applying for American schools from Canada, or does one have to take the American DAT? :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

DeeDee, I do believe that all US dental schools will accept the Canadian DAT in place of the US DAT if you are a Canadian applicant. While I'm not POSITIVELY sure if this applies to every last dental school, I do know that all of the big private schools that we Canadians normally apply to (NYU, Columbia, Penn, Temple, Tufts, BU, CWRU, UMich, UDMercy, Harvard, Marquette etc...) will all accept Canadian DAT scores. If you are somehow permitted to apply to and attend some of the state schools, you may want to check with them b/c they may have more restrictive requirements regarding the DAT. Hope this helps,

MDP

As far as I know, most if not all schools in the states will accept the Canadian Dat. I was accepted into Buffalo State School of Dental Medicine, and I wrote the canadian dat.

Good luck..

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm 100% sure that 95% of all American Dental schools accept the Canadian DAT, and as mentioned all of the big private schools accept it. UCLA is the only school that I think might not, but anyway UCLA only accepts like 2-3 out of state students anyway.
Dont take the American DAT unless you need to write it sooner that Nov. (the time of the Canadian DAT). The American DAT has a math section and orgo. The Canadian one doesnt have this but they do have a carving section, whcih the American schools dont care too much about anyway.
If you still have doubt, email the schools that you are interested in directly and find out.

After all I was accepted and I wrote the Canadina DAT

Ok, now that I know most US States accept the Canadian DAT, which sections do they look at? Just the sciences and the PAT sections? Not the reading comprehension? ;)

In terms of DAT section importance, here are a few things I know:

1) UofPacific really cares about your PAT score and your reading comp score

2) Most U.S. schools and UofT don't really care too much (if at all) about your manual dexterity (carving) score

3) Most all schools (Canada and US) care most about overall DAT academic and your DAT Science scores

So, I think you're fine so long as you don't tank the bio or chem sections of the DAT b/c that really shows that you may have some academic difficulties when compared to your peers.

MDP

MDP is correct. Every section from the Candian DAT is looked at except the Carving. But if your carving is high they will notice (my interviewer made a comment about my high score when he saw it).
Canadian Reading Comp, is looked at, but as MDP said your overall academic and science are the most important.