1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Canadian Dental School: What are my Chances?

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by HorseSpotter, Aug 6, 2015.

1. HorseSpotter

Pre-Dental
    My apologies if this should be posted in another thread, but I didn't see one.

I am a chemistry undergrad applying to Canadian dental schools this upcoming year, and I was wondering if someone with more experience than me could give their opinion on my application stats.

Specifically, I will be applying to Dalhousie, Saskatchewan, and Western Ontario.

GPA: 3.98/4.00 (I'm not sure what that converts to at the other schools, mine is a 4.00 scale)

DAT
    Reading Comp: 25
    Biology: 18
    Chemistry: 23
    Science Total: 20
    Academic Average: 22
    Perception: 20

I also have >1000 hours grant-funded research experience and a few papers with my name on them (not primary author, but I contributed work for my supervisor)

I know my biology mark could be higher, but otherwise I think I have a decent shot. If someone could confirm/refute that, I'd really appreciate it!

2. kayden28

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Firstly, awesome GPA. It would help to know what province/territory you're applying from. Most schools offer limited seats for out-of-province applicants and some even consider OOPs as international. I think you have an amazing shot though. Your AA is above average and your GPA is stellar. Why not McGill as well though? They don't look at DAT scores... so it's purely GPA and your PS. You would have a great shot there.

3. HorseSpotter

Pre-Dental
    Thanks for the words of encouragement! I'm applying out of Nova Scotia, so Dal is definitely my best bet, as they have a certain (unspecified) number of seats reserved for students from the Atlantic provinces.
    Good point about McGill. I'll have to check their OOP policy, as I've heard that Quebec schools can be tough if you're not from there; but if the policy isn't too harsh I'll send an application that way as well.

Thanks!

4. kayden28

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    It might be a bit tough but honestly, with your GPA, I'm sure you'll receive an interview invite. Good luck with all your apps! Hope you get into your #1 :)

5. Tebros

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Yeah I'd def. apply to Dal man. That GPA is looking good.