Canadian dental schools that accept american DAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MolarBear11

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
How competitive would it be to go to a Canadian school? It's really hard to come across some good statistics

Members don't see this ad.

For an American, I'd say 3.9+ oGPA coupled with 21+ DAT and you'll have a shot. But many schools have limited seats for OOS applicants. I know for U of T you needed a minimum of 3.88 GPA for interview last year (but they drop your worst year). Also, some schools look at your 2 best years, so in that case the 2 best years should be a 3.9+ GPA.

As for the DAT, I believe UBC and Western accept the American DAT for American applicants. Not sure about any others. Sorry I can't be more helpful!

Reactions: 1 user
yeah Western takes ur 2 best or last years i think.... but its typically around 3.9.... not sure if its higher or lower for OOS

Members don't see this ad :)
I was wondering.... this might be off topic - but are American Dental Schools any different than Canadian Dental schools in term of the curriculum and subjects that are taught? Are there any difference in education and clinical training?

From what I have researched they seem pretty similar to me. I just really like how the Canadian schools have much smaller class sizes (although not really for admissions purposes lol). I think you would have to do your own research on their websites or ask the schools for more detailed info.

Like MolarBear said, the curriculums are similar, however you get way more clinical training in the states due to population differences. The general rule of thumb is that in the US, education is more expensive with better clinical training, and in Canada is it generally cheaper with less clinical training. It all depends if you believe the cost is worth it. I've heard from many dentists that you develop your hand skills after years of practicing, others develop them write off the bat in dental school. It all depends on the individual and what they prefer.

Some do, some don't.

Attachments

• 2014 Canadian DS and US DAT.doc
    30.5 KB · Views: 168