Canadian Dental Student Becoming a U.S. Citizen

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Denty8

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
10 character

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
it COULD help, however, consult a lawyer first, do u have a perm resident card atleast? that process alone takes a long time. don't need to be a citizen to work with full rights in the US.

I would love to be a Canadian citizen myself and briefly looked into the process. I came to the conclusion that the best way of becoming an American or Canadian citizen is to marry a citizen of that country. No joke! And then by laws of both counties, your kids will be dual citizens (best of both worlds!), so long as one parent retains American citizenship and one has Canadian. You should come to school in America so you can marry an American and become a dual citizen. Otherwise, the process takes 7-8 years and you have to work in the country for something like 5.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry, I feel like I kinda skipped the orignal question. I am unfamiliar with all the laws, but my understanding is if you came to school in the US, then it will be easier to be licensed and practice in the US. If you went to a Canadian school, then you would need to pass your Canadian boards and THEN pass a test to practice in America. If you are going to save a considerable amount of money in Canada, I would go to school in Canada, then jump through hoops you need to practice in America. You don't need to be a US citizen to practice, but if you wanted to become one, you could formally apply or get married.

10 character

Last edited:
ive heard of dentist making large investments into a state for a dental practice and that advancing their green card process

Would it be more beneficial to go to a U.S. dental school in order to become a permanent resident?

I just went through the process of becoming a permanent resident and depending whether you are getting married or you have a sponsor that will help you achieve that status... it can take quite some time... I have never heard of anyone that became a permanent resident just by attending an american school.

I think you need to have a permanent resident status before you apply to dental school if im not mistaken.

I just went through the process of becoming a permanent resident and depending whether you are getting married or you have a sponsor that will help you achieve that status... it can take quite some time... I have never heard of anyone that became a permanent resident just by attending an american school.

I think you need to have a permanent resident status before you apply to dental school if im not mistaken.

When you are a canadian attending american school, you are on a student visa, any intent of becoming a permanent resident would void your student visa and you would be deported... Therefore, becoming a perm res. through schooling is IMPOSSIBLE.

However, buying a practice, now there's something that will get you a greencard, i have heard that if you invest over $500,000 in to american businesses, some places will sponsor you for a greencard, which can take anywhere from 6months to 20+years depending on your profession and origin of birth.

As dmd87 have mentioned, you don't need a perm res card to work in the US if you are a dentist

I am a dual citizen and will be returning to Canada after completing dental school at MWU in Arizona. Canada right now has better opportunities and AZ is especially over saturated with dentists. It works good for us at school though because we have incredible faculty on staff that would likely be practicing more and teaching less in a better economy.

I am a dual citizen and will be returning to Canada after completing dental school at MWU in Arizona. Canada right now has better opportunities and AZ is especially over saturated with dentists. It works good for us at school though because we have incredible faculty on staff that would likely be practicing more and teaching less in a better economy.
MWU for the win!!! :)
I will see you soon.