Canadian dentist possibility of OMFS...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

marcusnasland

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Average to below average grades in dental school in Canada, do I have any chance of acceptance if I apply to OMFS programs in the U.S? If so which ones?

Members don't see this ad.

Graduated a little over a year ago from dental school, now practising...

Graduated a little over a year ago from dental school, now practising...
You are in tough situation with avg or below avg grades since OMFS is very competitive to match but if you really wanna do it there is always a way.
my advice to you is do 1 year internship at a Canadian friendly program such as Montefiore, take NBME CBSE and Ace it and you should have a decent shot.
Just out of curiosity, are you in Canada practising? have you thought of any Canadian programs?

Members don't see this ad :)
Agreed with Totori.

As a dentist trying to get into OMFS, consider yourself lucky. Compare yourself with a medical school student in the USA who has a poor USMLE step 1 score - he/she has no shot of getting into a competitive medical specialty. There is a way for you to become OMFS if you really want it. Poor dental school grades can be trumped by a good NBME score in the eyes of most programs. Also, you have the opportunity to do a 1 year OMFS internship which will also increase your chances. If you have both those things under your belt you are golden.

You are in tough situation with avg or below avg grades since OMFS is very competitive to match but if you really wanna do it there is always a way.
my advice to you is do 1 year internship at a Canadian friendly program such as Montefiore, take NBME CBSE and Ace it and you should have a decent shot.
Just out of curiosity, are you in Canada practising? have you thought of any Canadian programs?

Thank you for the advice, I will definitely look into that. I am 26 years old and never thought I would want to specialize so just kind of coasted through dental school. Now after being out for a while I feel like I am sort of at a crossroad and not to sure where I want to take my career. I enjoy the surgical aspects of dentistry the most so was just wondering in my current situation what it would take to get into OMFS in the states. There are very limited spots for OMFS in Canada and highly competitive so I figured it wasn't very likely, but perhaps I would consider applying to these programs as well if I decided to and was accepted to a 1 year internship.