Canadian doing MD in the US... Problems in residency matching?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

snarkie

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm a Canadian student from Ontario who was lucky enough to get into the Geisel SOM at Dartmouth this cycle. It is also my top choice in US schools, so I am pretty thrilled! I am currently waiting on two Canadian schools, who do not release results until mid-May. I have a couple of questions regarding residency matches if I do enroll at Geisel.

Question 1: How challenging is it for Canadian students who do their US in the states to find residency in Canada, assuming that it is not one of the ROAD specialties? All I know so far is that doing rotations in 3rd/4th year in Canada helps. Do we match along with the Canadian MD students?

Question 2: How challenging is it for us to find residencies spots in the US? Are we significantly disadvantaged compared to US citizens?

If anyone has insight, please do let me know. Thank you in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

You will be treated as a US student. I am an international student at a US MD school. International students at my school match ok. One just matched for surgery at WashU.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi guys, I'm a Canadian student from Ontario who was lucky enough to get into the Geisel SOM at Dartmouth this cycle. It is also my top choice in US schools, so I am pretty thrilled! I am currently waiting on two Canadian schools, who do not release results until mid-May. I have a couple of questions regarding residency matches if I do enroll at Geisel.

Question 1: How challenging is it for Canadian students who do their US in the states to find residency in Canada, assuming that it is not one of the ROAD specialties? All I know so far is that doing rotations in 3rd/4th year in Canada helps. Do we match along with the Canadian MD students?

Question 2: How challenging is it for us to find residencies spots in the US? Are we significantly disadvantaged compared to US citizens?

If anyone has insight, please do let me know. Thank you in advance!

Yes, if you attend a US MD school, you will be in the first round of the residency match alongside students who attended Canadian medical schools.

Thanks for your responses! That's great to hear. I heard that there are some issues with visa sometimes - some hospitals think it's a bit bothersome because there is extra paperworks involved for international students? Is that true?

Also, I heard there are many different types of student visas, what determines which kind I am eligible for?

Thanks!

Thanks for your responses! That's great to hear. I heard that there are some issues with visa sometimes - some hospitals think it's a bit bothersome because there is extra paperworks involved for international students? Is that true?

Also, I heard there are many different types of student visas, what determines which kind I am eligible for?

Thanks!

Get an F1 visa. Why don't you talk to the international student office at Dartmouth. By the way congrats. Getting into a US MD school as a foreign student is an achievement.

Reactions: 1 user

Thanks!

Coming from Dartmouth you should have no problem matching. If any problems arise it will be because several residencies will not sponsor visas. I am a U.S. citizen, so I only know about the process from other Canadians I rotate with, but they are all from Caribbean medical schools, which is a different ballgame.

Congratulations btw, getting into medical school is a massive feat.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you guys! :) I will contact the international student office about the VISA info

Thank you guys! :) I will contact the international student office about the VISA info
For medical school you'll need and F1 VISA and then I think you get a J1 VISA for residency but I'm not 100% sure about that part. Some residencies do not sponsor VISAS though because its expensive and a bit of a hassle for them. But for programs that do sponsor VISAS you should not be at a disadvantage.