Canadian finishes aDAT 02/06

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

herragge

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys here are my scores:

PAT: 25 (99.0)
QR: 17 (75.6)
RC: 20 (64.3)
BIO: 22 (95.9)
GC: 23 (95.4)
OC: 23 (94.4)
TS: 23 (97.8)
AA: 21 (93.4)

I am very content with my scores! When I walked out of that Prometric examination room, I was so stoked, good thing it was rush hour because I would have been driving like a jackass haha.

I am a Canadian, who basically wrote the American DAT as a backup. My cDAT was getting old, as I wrote it last in 2007 and many schools didn't look at it. So I said screw it, and two weeks before the test I registered for the exam on June 2nd.

As you can see, I didn't have alot of time to study. But you don't need it. I think the aDAT was quite easy. My major is biological sciences, physical sciences minor and the sciences portion are the absolute fundamentals, that if you do not know by fourth year, you have bigger problems. My study regime consisted of waking up at 9am, studying for 3 hours, eating, start studying again at 3-6 and then do my 9 rounds of golf. I did not study very hard. If you are replicating my results and trying to get the same score, it's probably best if you give yourself some leeway and actually devote yourself. I am leaving for a Eurotrip tomorrow, so I had alot of distractions.

PAT: used Crack DAT PAT. Awesome program! I devote my 25 score completely to the CDP. I found the CDP stuff was quite a bit harder than the real thing; the hole punches were CRAZY HARD! On test 2, the holepunches were so tough I didn't even get to pattern folding. This scared me CONSIDERABLY. I scored a 17 on test 2. 19 on test 3. I found the hole punches were killing me, definite weakness and took too much time. Thankfully I thought the ones on the actual DAT were so much easier in comparison so I killed it. Only ended up doing 3-4 of the practice tests provided. Very happy with the outcome. Angles were able the same on the practice and the real thing. Keyholes a bit trickier maybe on the real thing.

Sciences: Bio was so basic. Read through Kaplan. Was good enough for me. Things I was weak on that came up in some practice tests (Kaplan subject tests) I just looked up through wiki. Gen Chem I am pretty good at, so I read through Kaplan and that was enough for me. They test the same concepts all the time, just different ways of asking similar questions. O Chem is a strength of mine as well, I did advanced organic in undergrad so the theory I already knew. I read through Kaplan to refresh myself mainly on the reactions they tested on. I didn't use Topscore, Achiever, any videos, I was too cheap to buy them.

QR: I barely read through the Kaplan section. Which by the way was terrible. Trying to explain math using words was bizarre to me, I just needed to practice. Unfortunately, due to my relaxed studying, I left QR to the last minute and barely studied it at all. I had 3 minutes left in the test and 12 unanswered questions. I guessed C for the remaining 12 and I still got a 17 so I am pretty content with that score! I thought I was going to bomb for sure. Thankfully the 17 didn't hurt my AA too much.

RC: Did one or two practice tests just to get my technique down on how to approach the readings. It was different on the computer, I thought a bit easier actually, you didn't have to flip pages to get to the passages. I got a 20 which I was quite happy with (even though I thought I did much better) but I am surprised with the low percentile. Oh well.

Overall I am very content. I think I have a decent shot at alot of schools, my GPA is quite strong, I am new to applying to these American schools but my GPA is probably between 3.8-3.9. My last year I had a 4.0 and a lot of A+'s though, I don't know how that +/- scale works for AADSAS. Should have a complete application by the end of this month if not earlier.

But really, what do I know? I'm just a brat who wrote the DAT for fun. What a loser I am. What do you guys think about my chances?

Members don't see this ad.

Congratz on your great scores, you definitely have a good chance at getting into a number of schools.

But what you have to understand is that you're Canadian, and despite what American's think, school is harder in Canada. Your high school education probably would have prepared you well for the Bio section. So that's why you didn't need to study. The rest of us down here are just trying to catch up.

I grew up in the US but my family lives in Canada now. They were down for a friend's wedding and at one point I was going over all the kaplan Bio and Chem flashcards and my little sister (senior in high school) was getting more right than I was.

Oh well, at least us Americans think we're the best and can't be convinced otherwise.

retake. only 25 on PAT and 20+ on others. tsk tsk tsk. I thought you canadians were suppose to be smart or something. :p

I'm not sure though how US schools view international students. If you were american you'll make it somewhere for sure.

Very good strategy on guessing. A lot of people when guessing think patterns. like A here b there etc. Its much better to just pick one letter. random patterns have a higher chance of you completely missing. while 1 letter all the way you have a chance of getting at least 1 correct.

Congratz on your great scores, you definitely have a good chance at getting into a number of schools.

But what you have to understand is that you're Canadian, and despite what American's think, school is harder in Canada. Your high school education probably would have prepared you well for the Bio section. So that's why you didn't need to study. The rest of us down here are just trying to catch up.

I grew up in the US but my family lives in Canada now. They were down for a friend's wedding and at one point I was going over all the kaplan Bio and Chem flashcards and my little sister (senior in high school) was getting more right than I was.

Oh well, at least us Americans think we're the best and can't be convinced otherwise.

Thanks for the encouragement! Yes I do agree that Canadian schools are more difficult than American schools, but that is a belief I suppose. I cannot know until I actually go to school in both which I have not so don't take my word as truth. I have many friends who did go to both American and Canadian schools and have done very well in American ones despite struggling in Canada. /End Canadian is better debate

And yeah I briefly read a paragraph somehwere saying that when you are guessing, it is best to choose C because it gives you a 24.7% chance of getting the correct answer statistically on the DAT if it is A-E. So I just choosed them for all! haha...

Mike