Canadian FP to US EM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

knovecc

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
from my understanding, for a FM resident in Canada be certified by BCEM (not ABFM) he/she has to do, in consequence:

1) complete 2 yrs CFPC residency
2) do a R3 in a +1 program, could be anything - dosen't have to be CFPC-EM
3) now he/she accumulated 3 yrs in primary care, so he/she can apply for ABFM
4) once certified ABFM, the candidate now has "an ACGME-certified Primary Care residency" - apparently ACGME don't certify fresh 2-yr CFPC for primary residency
5) accumulate 7000 hrs in ER, with 1400+ hr/yr
6) now eligible to write the BCEM exam

my question:
can we skip step 3) ?
I mean if CFPC 2+1 is certified by American authorities as primary care residency (it is 3 yrs too), then we won't need to get ABFM before BCEM.

Members don't see this ad.

No matter what is your point (which I think is getting BCEM, but we'll get to that), if you want a license in a US jurisdiction, you need to take Step III.

Now, as for BCEM - my opinion? It's garbage, and an attempt at an end-around for EM board certification - in the US, it is do a residency in EM to be ABEM board prepared (formerly "board eligible"). That's it.

As such, all your other blather is likely going to be derided, or outright ignored, by other folks here.

And I see that you posted verbatim the same thing on "premed101.com". Good luck with that.