"Canadian-friendly" DO schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Canuck

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

Great site and kudos to the creators. I was wondering if any of you'll know of DO schools who have accepted Canadian students in the past. Moreover, if our requirements are higher than US students. Been reading a lot about this progressive medical field and am hoping it will find itself north of the border.

Members don't see this ad.

Canuck,

Wish I could help you more, but I think the best course of action is for you to call a DO school and ask. All the DO admissions offices that I have dealt with are extremly friendly. They go out of their way to accomodate you. Incidently, it would be nice to see Osteopathy expand to our Northern neighbors.

------------------
DocGibby
MSUCOM class of 2004

It has found itself north of the border... just not in great numbers or in every province. Regardless, I'm a Canadian attending Nova Southeastern University College of Osteopathic Medicine (so I suppose they are Canadian-friendly). Your credentials have to be good enough to get in but (this school has an in-state preference too) not amazing.

Members don't see this ad :)
LECOM has the same low standards for Canadians as it does for US residents.

Actually 2003, I meant that they should open up some DO schools in Canada.

Hey guys,
Thanks for all of your responses thus far. 2003, was wondering what province you come from. In Ontario, I've been told that the College Of Physicians and Surgeons do not allow DOs to practice. I would love to see that change. If you don't mind, could I also ask what gpa and MCAT scores are required. I have a 2.75 from U of Toronto(range:1.85-3.5) as well as an MCAT scores of VR-7, BS-10,PS-9,WS-O. I realize that I do need to improve these scores and was wondering which aspect of my portfolio needs the greater improvment; gpa or MCAT.

DocGibby, thanks for the clarification... I agree! Canuck, I'm from Alberta which has much better rules than Ontario. There are a few DO's with practice rights in Ontario that were granted rights based on their American credentials. Things should all change and get easier over the next 2-3 years. Alberta is already pretty good. Your GPA is awful and would likely not get you in anywhere (sorry, just being honest). I'd work on that before anything else. Good luck!

Thanks for your honesty..it is much appreciated. I realize that my GPA is quite low. However, it started out badly and ended with a 3.5 in my last year. This year consisted of all senior medical science courses and a few with the medical students. Unfortunately, have reached my potential late in the scheme of things. Was thinking of doing either a Masters or Post-bac program. Any suggestions?

Canuck,

Most DO schools, even private schools, show an in-state preference in applicants.

The only school I know of that does not have an in-state preference is the Kirskville College of Osteopathic Medicine in Kirksville, MO. I don't know all that much about KCOM, but there are plenty of people here who attend that school.

(From the Kirksville website, I've come to the conclusion that it's a dust-bowl in the middle of nowhere).
wink.gif

Tim of New York City.

I think KCOM has a preference for California, Utah, and New York residents but definately not Missouri. Just kidding, but seriously, a good size of our class comes from those 3 states and the vast majority are from outside of Missouri. Yes, we are in the middle of nowhere with the closest big cities being Kansas City (2.5 hours) and St. Louis (3 hours). If you need more info, post here or go to the student site at www.kcomstudents.org . Don't expect many answers anytime soon since next week is finals and we start off with 3 inches of biochem material on Monday.

[This message has been edited by justwannabadoc (edited 11-13-1999).]

I am a Canadian student who moved to the U.S.
From my experience and from the experience of many of my friends, it is much more difficult to get good grades in Canada that in U.S. schools. I would strongly suggest doing a postbach program in the U.S. Your grades will probably improve significantly. The admission committees will take that very positively.
Stay motivated and I'm sure that you'll get in.

Dear FutureDO,
Thanks so much for those words of encouragement. Happy to see Canadians succeeding in the US. Was wondering what DO school you attend. We should all form a society oneday and pressure the Canadian medical establishment into creating DO schools.(assuming I do eventually get in..lol)

The AOA would be the society you'd want on board to promote/accredit a school in Canada. Unfortunately, a private medical school wouldn't sit well with the Canadian government -- and I doubt they'd want to fund another medical school (they'd just increase enrollment at ones they already have).

Members don't see this ad :)
Canuck,
Make sure that you have extensively researched what it takes to get back into Canada and practice medicine. In Canada, DO's are regarded by the MCC as foreign medical graduates and as such, are required to take the MCC EE's as well as the usual MCC QE I and II. They are also barred from participating in the first iteration of CaRMS and can only participate in the second iteration.

Thanks guys for all your replies. You guys are right about the board exams but I've been told that Ontario is still an exclusion. In any case, this is definitely a profession that I'm intent to pursue. Would anyone be aware of post-bac programs that I could attend given my stats in a previous post? Besides LECOM and NOVA, does anyone know of other DO schools with Canadian students?

I am also a Canadian from Alberta. I don't think that really affects much on the admissions process. I have received 3 interviews this year and will be attending AZCOM.
Incidently, did you know that there is an osteopathic school in Ontario? It is not accredited and it teaches more the "Commonwealth style" of osteopathy - No drugs or surgery allowed.
2003, what do you think our chances are of coming back to Alberta? Do you know Dr. Findlay?

[This message has been edited by Nav (edited 11-16-1999).]

Do you know Dr. Klaiss in West Blocton,AL? Just trying to figure out if your the one she has been telling me about. I would like to contact you about my trip to NSUCOM.

just curious,

Dear Canuck,
I applied to NSUCOM this year.
I spoke to the college of physicians and surgeons in Ontario. They said that D.O.'s are not allowed to practice in Ontario. They also said that they are not currently working on letting them practice. I think that if the public was aware on what they are missing ,they would try to change the laws. My personal experience has been great with D.O.'s. I hope that Ontario will eventually change their policy and let Canadians experience the outstanding care which D.O.'s deliver.

[This message has been edited by futuredo (edited 11-17-1999).]

Nav, what do you mean -- what do you think the chances are of us going back to Alberta? If we want to practise there -- 100%. If after spending 7 years in the US I decide I want to practise here -- then 0%. The Ontario problem stems more from the moratorium on issuing new medical licenses than anything about DO's. They aren't willing to look at changing any laws that would let more docs practise b/c they have too many.

RollTide, yes, I shadowed Dr. Klaiss in her rural Alabama practise. If you provide your email address I will contact you and you can ask whatever you wish.

FYI, the osteopathy school in Ontario is not accredited and is being sued by many grads... also, US-trained DO's in Canada are lobbying for its closure.

2003, Dr. Findlay is the DO licensed in Alberta. He says that the rules change all the time in Canada, but he keeps updated on the situation. I think the situation looks pretty good right now, though. We should keep in touch.
Anybody ever read that article in the DO journal a few years back about DO's in Canada?

Yes, Dr. Findlay and I have spoken at lengths regarding the situation. Alberta should only get easier as they are reducing the examinations that would have to be written by a US-trained DO right now. Of course, you are right, rules change and I have many years left. I hope that the laws keep my options open.

What does Dr. Findlay think about D.O.'s getting practicing rights in Ontario? Is that going to happen at all?

[This message has been edited by futuredo (edited 11-21-1999).]

One thing that I'm not clear about: Is it necessary to do a residency in Canada in order to be licensed here?

No, you would do a US-residency. If you picked a specialty, though, you'd be wise to pick ACGME over AOA (for family pratise it doesn't matter). As for Ontario, there are a few internists that have managed to petition successfully for licenses; however, the future is not clear.

I do not know if there are any Canadian students at PCOM, but they do not have an in-state preference that I know of.

Dear 2003,

I've contacted the College of Physicians in Ontario and they said that DO's cannot practice in Ontario. I was wondering if you know how I may contact the internists that you speak of.

I was also wondering if it would be in my best interest to get some experience at the Canadian College of Osteopathy.

Thanks a lot

As a rule, DO's are not allowed to practise in Ontario. However, some hospitals have decided to recognize the credentials of the DO internists. I do not know their names but you could probably contact Dr. Findlay in Alberta or Dr. Church in BC to find out.

I don't recommend you do anything with the Ontario osteopathy school as it is non-accredited (and not likely to get any accreditation) and, if anything, it's at odds with the American and Canadian Osteopathic Associations. I recommend you do find a US-trained DO and spend some time with that person (whether that be in Canada or the US).

Dear 2003,

I was wondering if you could please send me the e-mail address of Dr. Findlay. I really do appreciate everyone's input thus far. Thanks a lot