MD Canadian-friendly MD/PhD & Funding?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

babybat

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi I'm Canadian and considering applying to the US if I don't get in to Canadian schools this cycle. Is anyone aware of MD/PhD programs that provide some funding for international students? I would have no way to afford US tuition w/o some funding and I don't have parental support for a large loan.

GPA: 3.99+ (Canadian) EDIT: 4.0 converted GPA

MCAT: 525

ECs: 1000+ hrs research (possible pub this school year), 2x research awards, TA, club exec (incl service-oriented clubs), student gov, ~200hrs volunteering w marginalized groups, some other life-experience type stuff & awards but I'm not sure what the AMCAS app allows

URM

I don't have any clinical related stuff as it's not important for Canada school but I can try to get some in the next year if necessary. Shadowing is considered a breach of privacy here as well.

Would this be do-able, at what schools and what should I try to improve?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You should definitely get clinical experience if you're applying to US programs, even MD-PhD. I believe it's been said here that bringing in an entirely research-focused app with little to no clinical experience will raise questions like "Why not just PhD? Why MD-PhD?"

Reactions: 1 user
You should definitely get clinical experience if you're applying to US programs, even MD-PhD. I believe it's been said here that bringing in an entirely research-focused app with little to no clinical experience will raise questions like "Why not just PhD? Why MD-PhD?"
I can try to do that for sure, though right now is a bit of a bad time. Could online crisis-response lines count or does it have to be literally in a hospital/clinic? Otherwise, do you know if it would be possible to be funded as an intl MD/PhD?

Members don't see this ad :)
I can try to do that for sure, though right now is a bit of a bad time. Could online crisis-response lines count or does it have to be literally in a hospital/clinic? Otherwise, do you know if it would be possible to be funded as an intl MD/PhD?

Online crisis-response lines are great non-clinical volunteering, but would not count as clinical.

"If you can smell the patients, it's clinical." So, you'd need to physically be there, which is tough given the current times. Perhaps look into clinical employment, like CNA or scribing.

As with funding, I have zero idea.

CNA or scribing.
Here CNA is I think equivalent to PSW or RPN which requires 1 or 2 yr degrees respectively and scribing basically is not a thing haha. I'll have to think about that as I think that would be my biggest barrier.