Canadian getting education at Phillippine and practice med. down there?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Smooth Operater

don't bug "operatEr"!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys! I am wondering how difficult is it for Canadians without Phillippine citzenship to get an Phillippine MD education and end up becoming a citizen so he/she can practice there? Anybody from foregin countries have actually done that? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Smooth Operater said:
Hey guys! I am wondering how difficult is it for Canadians without Phillippine citzenship to get an Phillippine MD education and end up becoming a citizen so he/she can practice there? Anybody from foregin countries have actually done that? Thanks!
It's difficult unless you can get naturalized (also a tedious process here) and finished med school in the Phil. plus another year of internship then take the Philippines Medical Boards. They might change the law in the future as some Japanese medical corporations are trying to establish some long-term care facilities and they want the foreign/japanese doctors to be able to practice in the Phil.
Otherwise it's easier for a foreigner to get an education in the Philippines then practice in the US after taking the USMLE.
Also unless you are a missionary or practicing for charity, it is not lucrative to practice medicine in the Philippines. A lot of doctors are trying to get out of the country.

if ur parents or one of them had a filipino citizenship when u were born u could apply for dual citizenship.it's easy..i'm a canadian but i applied for dual citizenship. it really helps.