Canadian getting funding for OD school

Discussion in 'Optometry' started by canadahgirl, Jan 4, 2009.

1. canadahgirl

Optometry Student
    I'm getting kind of worried. I am a 2nd year OD student from Canada. I have been receiving funding through a line of credit from National Bank for the last two years, however I am worried that I may not get funding for 3rd and 4th year.

When I first applied, they told me I would be able to get $30,000 a year for up to four years.

Well when I went to re-apply last year, they told me that I have maxed out, and $60,000 is the most I can get.

Well how am I supposed to finish my schooling and pay them back if I can't pay my way through school?

They said one of the factors is because I am going to a US school and they are afraid I won't return to Canada to pay off my loans. My parents are currently co-signers, but they don't exactly make A LOT of money.

So what can I do? RBC already denied me the first time, which is why I went to National Bank.

Im getting really worried that I may not be able to complete school because I can't get funding for it. :(

2. qwopty99

qwopty99 Optometrist
    7+ Year Member

What a Catch-22.

The line of credit - was it made in writing? i.e. 4 years @ 30 000 per.

This is really a tough one.

Anyone can help out with this?

3. jefguth

jefguth Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Optometrist
    I doubt that it would matter, simply b.c. you have to reapply each year....

I doubt definitely make them aware of my displeasure with their surprise, and then shop around to every other bank. I know my friends have borrowed more from other banks.

If that doesn't work, well you could always get your parents to refinance their house!

4. fonziefonz

7+ Year Member

Hmm. I have a line of credit from them too. So far so good. I'm going to renew in May I think (going into 3rd year then). I'll let you know how it goes.

5. Qukc

Does the US school offer you any financial help? No scholarship or bursary available?

6. Jenboo23

2+ Year Member

Optometry Student

Nope. Otherwise I'd get on that!

7. stonegoat

5+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    When I went to school CIBC offered their "Professional Edge" student line of credit. The max was $60,000, and no co-signer was required. It made it possible for me to fund my training.

8. fonziefonz

7+ Year Member

I think all the banks I went to wanted a co-signer.

9. Squint

Squint Squint
    7+ Year Member

Pre-Optometry
    You have also tried prov/fed government loans as well, I presume. You can get up to $18,000 per year.