Canadian getting funding for OD school

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

canadahgirl

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm getting kind of worried. I am a 2nd year OD student from Canada. I have been receiving funding through a line of credit from National Bank for the last two years, however I am worried that I may not get funding for 3rd and 4th year.

When I first applied, they told me I would be able to get $30,000 a year for up to four years.

Well when I went to re-apply last year, they told me that I have maxed out, and $60,000 is the most I can get.

Well how am I supposed to finish my schooling and pay them back if I can't pay my way through school?

They said one of the factors is because I am going to a US school and they are afraid I won't return to Canada to pay off my loans. My parents are currently co-signers, but they don't exactly make A LOT of money.

So what can I do? RBC already denied me the first time, which is why I went to National Bank.

Im getting really worried that I may not be able to complete school because I can't get funding for it. :(

Members don't see this ad.

What a Catch-22.

The line of credit - was it made in writing? i.e. 4 years @ 30 000 per.

This is really a tough one.

Anyone can help out with this?

What a Catch-22.

The line of credit - was it made in writing? i.e. 4 years @ 30 000 per.

This is really a tough one.

Anyone can help out with this?

I doubt that it would matter, simply b.c. you have to reapply each year....

I doubt definitely make them aware of my displeasure with their surprise, and then shop around to every other bank. I know my friends have borrowed more from other banks.

If that doesn't work, well you could always get your parents to refinance their house!

Members don't see this ad :)
Does the US school offer you any financial help? No scholarship or bursary available?

When I went to school CIBC offered their "Professional Edge" student line of credit. The max was $60,000, and no co-signer was required. It made it possible for me to fund my training.

You have also tried prov/fed government loans as well, I presume. You can get up to $18,000 per year.