Canadian Going to US Med School and Citizenship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doctorproctor

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
If as a Canadian undergrad student and citizen I went to medical school in the US, would it be possible to somehow gain citizenship?

I know that in order to gain US citizenship there are not many options. Green card lottery (which is useless to Canadians), marriage, parents, spouse, or work.

What would be the process of obtaining US citizenship after (or during) med school in the US as a Canadian?

Also, if during the time a Canadian obtaining a US citizenship has a Canadian spouse living with them in the US, could they too obtain citizenship? Or could they only live there for 6 months out of the year?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

As far as I know there is no way to gain citizenship through school or residency. During medical school you will be on an f1 visa and during residency you will be on a j1 visa. I don't know if things would be different for Canadian vs other international students though. I'm not Canadian so haven't looked into that. You still have the options you listed of trying the green card lottery/marriage/etc or getting your green card/work permit sponsored by a job post residency. Once you get a green card it takes a couple years (3 or 5 I think) before you can apply for citizenship. I don't know if there is some expediated process for doctors but my guess would be no.

Members don't see this ad :)
If as a Canadian undergrad student and citizen I went to medical school in the US, would it be possible to somehow gain citizenship?

I know that in order to gain US citizenship there are not many options. Green card lottery (which is useless to Canadians), marriage, parents, spouse, or work.

What would be the process of obtaining US citizenship after (or during) med school in the US as a Canadian?

Also, if during the time a Canadian obtaining a US citizenship has a Canadian spouse living with them in the US, could they too obtain citizenship? Or could they only live there for 6 months out of the year?

Thanks.
The process to be granted citizenship is more complex than you think.
Before citizenship there is permanent residency which can be granted 5 - 10 years after the application process began.
There is no citizenship without permanent residency. If approved, there is a 2-year period of review during which you are give a conditional residency status. The card will say permanent, but the expiration date will be 2 years after the time of application. Then, if approved, you can apply for a 10-year permanent residency card.
5 Years after being granted the 10-year permanent residency card you can apply for citizenship - at this point the citizenship can be denied.
Marriages fill out joint forms; children fill out separate forms in the same package.

At the time of your application, if accepted for review, you will be given a work visa. You, and your wife, will be allowed to work until your status is resolved.

If you leave the country for 6 months at the time of your application dhs will terminate your application.

Claiming through parents takes 15 years.

The process to be granted citizenship is more complex than you think.
Before citizenship there is permanent residency which can be granted 5 - 10 years after the application process began.
There is no citizenship without permanent residency. If approved, there is a 2-year period of review during which you are give a conditional residency status. The card will say permanent, but the expiration date will be 2 years after the time of application. Then, if approved, you can apply for a 10-year permanent residency card.
5 Years after being granted the 10-year permanent residency card you can apply for citizenship - at this point the citizenship can be denied.
Marriages fill out joint forms; children fill out separate forms in the same package.

At the time of your application, if accepted for review, you will be given a work visa. You, and your wife, will be allowed to work until your status is resolved.

If you leave the country for 6 months at the time of your application dhs will terminate your application.

Claiming through parents takes 15 years.

Should I just give up on that plan and stay in Canada? Even though it's what I would of really wanted, it seems as if attaining this goal is like getting a 46 on the MCAT.

Should I just give up on that plan and stay in Canada? Even though it's what I would of really wanted, it seems as if attaining this goal is like getting a 46 on the MCAT.
Pursue it

Many others have done it with less resources

My family got citizenship in 2008, green card lottery sometimes works out :D

...but it's a long road

My family got citizenship in 2008, green card lottery sometimes works out :D

...but it's a long road

From Canada? I heard Canadians have horrible green card lottery priority.

Unfortunately no immediate family from the US, however I have many relatives living in the US. Next summer I will be shadowing my relative who is a Boston neurosurgeon as I heard shadowing and physician recommendations hold some weight in US application (here in Canada it's nothing special).

Realistically what would be the process of me obtaining at least a permanent residency in the US during or after med school? Would I pretty much have zero chance of ever going into private practice? Not that there is a problem with that, just would like to know how this whole thing would be went about.

From Canada? I heard Canadians have horrible green card lottery priority.

Unfortunately no immediate family from the US, however I have many relatives living in the US. Next summer I will be shadowing my relative who is a Boston neurosurgeon as I heard shadowing and physician recommendations hold some weight in US application (here in Canada it's nothing special).

Realistically what would be the process of me obtaining at least a permanent residency in the US during or after med school? Would I pretty much have zero chance of ever going into private practice? Not that there is a problem with that, just would like to know how this whole thing would be went about.
Like someone said, it's impossible for your time in school to "count" towards earning a green card regardless of nationality. I'm not sure if your time in residency can count, but your program will certainly have to offer you some kind of visa in order for you to complete the program. I know if you get an H1B visa your spouse gets one too but I'm not sure about F1 or J1.