Canadian, GPA 3.6, MCAT 29P

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

arabmed

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey I am Canadian and I have a 3.6cGPA and 29P on the MCAT.
What are the chances of me getting into US MD schools if I applied widely? On a scale of 1-100%, how competitive am I?
I have a few EC's.
I have acceptances from Irish schools but I want to try US first.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
To be blunt, you are not competitive for US allopathic (MD) med schools. Your stats are both subpar for an international applicant. Without very strong ECs across multiple categories, I'd give you 0% chance.

Your stats (if the subscores are balanced) would give you a shot at US osteopathic (DO) med schools, but they also have expectations for experiences that "a few ECs" probably don't cover.

To be blunt, you are not competitive for US allopathic (MD) med schools. Your stats are both subpar for an international applicant. Without very strong ECs across multiple categories, I'd give you 0% chance.

Your stats (if the subscores are balanced) would give you a shot at US osteopathic (DO) med schools, but they also have expectations for experiences that "a few ECs" probably don't cover.

Come on now, 0%?? I looked at the averages of US schools and there were 3.7's and 3.6's, also the MCAT scores were about 30's averages. So I'm just a little below the average, dont you think I at least have a 40% chance?

I hope someone can give me a realistic number...

Members don't see this ad :)
i think the reason being is that you are an international student, so your stats/ECs must be stronger than other domestic applicants, even a US application with your stats is not as competitive...yea the truth is ugly but i wouldn't say 0%, that is too absolute

Perhaps you were being modest about your activities when you described them. If they are stronger than you suggested, it would change the picture you've given. Would you like to be more specific? Stats get you past screening cutoffs. ECs and LORs determine if you are offered an interview.

Perhaps you were being modest about your activities when you described them. If they are stronger than you suggested, it would change the picture you've given. Would you like to be more specific? Stats get you past screening cutoffs. ECs and LORs determine if you are offered an interview.

Haha.. not ezy to be blunt eh :D

aramed, when she sez 0% she sez very very low.

3.6 is below average, and 29 is also much below averege.

depending on ur breakdown, it can only be worse.

and ur an international student.
they have lots of ppl with ur stats, why would they pick u? do u have some fantastic ecs?

then like cat said, tat wud change things

3.6 is about average and a 29 MCAT is slightly below average. Strictly from numbers you are only a little below average for a US resident. Unfortunately, you are facing an uphill battle applying as an international with average stats.

I think 10-20% is more realistic. We need more information on your ECs.

Last edited:
Well ECs are not few, they are good. But nothing special. the regular. I have clinical/shadowing experience. Community service...etc. No research/publications.

What if I get about 31-32 on the MCAT? Do I just go to Ireland or should I rewrite MCAT and ger 31-32?

Also I think I should mention that I have a good upward trend with 4.0 and 3.8 in my 3rd and 4th years.

Last edited:
Do you have a particular bias against Ireland? Would it be really hard to get back into a Canadian residency program from an Irish med school?

Do you have a particular bias against Ireland? Would it be really hard to get back into a Canadian residency program from an Irish med school?

Nothing against Ireland. But it is EXPENSIVE!!!!!!!!!! And no I cant get back into a Canadian residency other than FM. I can get something better in US but still very difficult because I won't have US experience.

I want to try getting into US if I can first. Please tell me if I have hope... I know I sound desperate ......well I am. :scared:

What everyone above said is relevant. Reason: Very few spots open for international students, and of those that do, they are expected to have stronger credentials than U.S. nationals.

If you feel this is something you must do, it's certainly your prerogative to research the least-competitive, international-friendly schools. But that's beyond my knowledge base.

Well ECs are not few, they are good. But nothing special. the regular. I have clinical/shadowing experience. Community service...etc. No research/publications.

What if I get about 31-32 on the MCAT? Do I just go to Ireland or should I rewrite MCAT and ger 31-32?

Also I think I should mention that I have a good upward trend with 4.0 and 3.8 in my 3rd and 4th years.
Hey, wait a second there, you stated that you had a 3.8 and 4.0 in your last two years?

Well I don't think Canadian medical school doors are shut for you..just yet.

Queen's and Western will take your best/last two years for the calculation of GPA, respectively, so you still have a chance... Assuming you took a full course load in your last two years of undergrad.

However their MCAT averages are 10 11 11 R, so you would have to re-take the MCAT and aim for those numbers.

Deezed makes a good point.

But either way (if you apply to Canadian or US schools), you may want to re-write the MCAT. Although your ECs may be good, they may not be enough to compensate for the relatively low MCAT score...especially as an international applicant.