canadian guy wondering about his shot

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Habbas

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey there im a relativlely new guy here, im in 2nd year of undergrad in microbiology in ontario, first year i got a 3.2ish gpa but during second year ive bee working hard and have it upto a 3.7, and have yet to do the mcat
im also looking into pharmacy and optometry, im wondering about my chances options etc

Members don't see this ad.

I think you're solid, even for Canada. Ontario has more than one school so you'll be fine if you continue to get a 3.7 from here on out. You're good for the states too, but it will be cheaper if you stay home.

Yeah your GPA is great right now. Keep it going. Dont forget about your extra curriculars too

Members don't see this ad :)
yeah the thing is my universiyt uses a 12 point scale and i fond the 12. scale to GPA conversion HERES TEH CHART I GOUND:

12-Point --------------- 4-Point
12 ---------------------- 4.0
11 ---------------------- 3.9
10 ---------------------- 3.7
9 ----------------------- 3.3
8 ----------------------- 3.0
7 ----------------------- 2.7
6 ----------------------- 2.3
5 ----------------------- 2.0
4 ----------------------- 1.7
3 ----------------------- 1.3
2 ----------------------- 1.0
1 ----------------------- 0.7
0 ----------------------- 0.0

my average last year was lke a 9, and this year is around a 10.2

extracurriculars also vary but i have job shadowing experience at a dental office, activites in nursing homes and long term care facilities, multiple jobs, and clubs

im also scared because i got a B- in organic chemistry I

There's so many variables, we can't really judge your chances since you're so early in your career. Keep getting I guess 10+ AND score above 10 on every section on the MCAT (and above Q on writing) and you should be fine for Canadian schools. For American schools 32+ would be nice (though it's okay if a section drops below 10). Once you take the MCAT we'll have a much better picture of your chances, but at this point you shouldn't let your grades (or one bad grade) completely discourage you from medicine. :p

What are you doing EC wise?

For ec's
im part of unific foundation at university, me and a couple pals started a club called teachers without borders, i have had numerous job positions, volunteering at nursing homes and hospitals, job shadowed a dentist for about 50 hours (alhough i need more), and and doing some research wok starting in the new semester