Habbas

10+ Year Member
Dec 29, 2008
Status
Pre-Dental
hey there im a relativlely new guy here, im in 2nd year of undergrad in microbiology in ontario, first year i got a 3.2ish gpa but during second year ive bee working hard and have it upto a 3.7, and have yet to do the mcat
im also looking into pharmacy and optometry, im wondering about my chances options etc

HeatherMD

Queen of Passiveagressiva
10+ Year Member
Oct 29, 2008
Canada
Status
Pre-Medical
I think you're solid, even for Canada. Ontario has more than one school so you'll be fine if you continue to get a 3.7 from here on out. You're good for the states too, but it will be cheaper if you stay home.

JacksonInTheBox

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 30, 2008
Status
Pre-Medical
Yeah your GPA is great right now. Keep it going. Dont forget about your extra curriculars too

About the Ads

Habbas

10+ Year Member
Dec 29, 2008
Status
Pre-Dental
yeah the thing is my universiyt uses a 12 point scale and i fond the 12. scale to GPA conversion HERES TEH CHART I GOUND:

12-Point --------------- 4-Point
12 ---------------------- 4.0
11 ---------------------- 3.9
10 ---------------------- 3.7
9 ----------------------- 3.3
8 ----------------------- 3.0
7 ----------------------- 2.7
6 ----------------------- 2.3
5 ----------------------- 2.0
4 ----------------------- 1.7
3 ----------------------- 1.3
2 ----------------------- 1.0
1 ----------------------- 0.7
0 ----------------------- 0.0

my average last year was lke a 9, and this year is around a 10.2

extracurriculars also vary but i have job shadowing experience at a dental office, activites in nursing homes and long term care facilities, multiple jobs, and clubs

Habbas

10+ Year Member
Dec 29, 2008
Status
Pre-Dental
im also scared because i got a B- in organic chemistry I

stixx

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 27, 2006
Status
Pre-Medical
There's so many variables, we can't really judge your chances since you're so early in your career. Keep getting I guess 10+ AND score above 10 on every section on the MCAT (and above Q on writing) and you should be fine for Canadian schools. For American schools 32+ would be nice (though it's okay if a section drops below 10). Once you take the MCAT we'll have a much better picture of your chances, but at this point you shouldn't let your grades (or one bad grade) completely discourage you from medicine. :p

What are you doing EC wise?

Habbas

10+ Year Member
Dec 29, 2008
Status
Pre-Dental
For ec's
im part of unific foundation at university, me and a couple pals started a club called teachers without borders, i have had numerous job positions, volunteering at nursing homes and hospitals, job shadowed a dentist for about 50 hours (alhough i need more), and and doing some research wok starting in the new semester

About the Ads