Feb 22, 2010
Status
Hi guys!

Your friendly neighbor to the north here. I was wondering if you know of any Canadians who completed their training in internal medicine in Canada and went on to do their subspecialty training in the US? What sort of obstacles will they face? In terms of USMLE's, will I have to write all three steps? I heard that some states do not require Canadians to write their USMLE's for the purposes of doing fellowships. I am interested in New York state and California. If I have to write them do I have to do exceedingly well? I heard that for fellowships, you just have to pass them. I am just starting residency in IM and I am inclined towards pulmonary/critical care or cardiology at this time. I would like to plan ahead.

Thanks muchly

gutonc

No Meat, No Treat
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Mar 6, 2005
Status
Attending Physician
Hi guys!

Your friendly neighbor to the north here. I was wondering if you know of any Canadians who completed their training in internal medicine in Canada and went on to do their subspecialty training in the US? What sort of obstacles will they face? In terms of USMLE's, will I have to write all three steps? I heard that some states do not require Canadians to write their USMLE's for the purposes of doing fellowships. I am interested in New York state and California. If I have to write them do I have to do exceedingly well? I heard that for fellowships, you just have to pass them. I am just starting residency in IM and I am inclined towards pulmonary/critical care or cardiology at this time. I would like to plan ahead.

Thanks muchly
Wow! Really good question. Canadian med students are considered equivalent to AMGs (albeit in need of a visa) when the residency match is considered but I have no idea how Canadian residents are considered.

Are you foreign or US-equivalent at that point? If the former, there are some specialties (IM not among them to the best of my knowledge) that will consider a foreign trained physician for fellowship training. If the latter, you will just need to satisfy the requirements of the program you match into (although California requires all PGY3 -I think- and above to have an unrestricted medical license which means you'd need to satisfy the CA medical board too).

Kind of a strange question but I hope (for your sake and for my curiosity) that somebody has a good answer.

Sep 1, 2009
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Look into whether completing the MCC QE1&2 is equivalent to having the USMLE exams. I know that the reverse is true (having all the steps forgoes the need for the MCC exams). Also, you'll probably need to have the California letter which is a load of bureaucracy and can take time so look into that early. Sorry couldn't be more help.