canadian IMG going back to canada after medschool in uk

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

yatinsardana

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Right.. I know there have been multiple posts and questions on this very point. But I have this question that I would really appreciate if some of you addressed. I'm a Canadian citizen who has come to uk to do his medschool. I'm starting my 4th year now. I have come to understand that even though you're canadian and it may hold a bit of an edge over other international students, when it comes to wanting a residency in canada after medschool, it's pretty hard. Therefore, most recommend taking usmle and doing residency in the states and then going to canada from there....
Fair enough.

My point is, preparing for usmle takes a lot of time and effort. Is all of this really necessary? Would you not be better off in spending your years at med school building up your cv and also doing electives in a couple hospitals in canada to build up a rapport with doctors and get that under your cv too. Then after graduating you can apply to canada.. chances are you won't get in the first time. It's ok.. you start with your foundation programme in the uk and apply next year. In the meantime you continue to brighten your cv. You may or may not get in next year. If you don't you continue to finish f2 and become FULLY registered with the GMC too.
If you're a bright student who has worked hard enough to steer your cv towards going back to canada, surely you'd get accepted after 2-4 attempts??

My question I guess is, why work so hard in doing usmle and also in doing so you forget to enjoy your years at med school.. and then go to USA just to get back to canada. I mean why even go to usa when you don't even want to settle there and all you want to do is go back to canada.

Are you not better off just spending 2-3 more years in the uk (years that you'll be spending in USA) and applying every year and then finally getting into canada. The other benefit of that obviously is that in this time you'll also become fully registered with the gmc, which surely is a bonus. You also cut out the costs of taking usmle, moving to usa, getting used to another healthcare system... don't forget in usa you'll be straight into residency, whereas if you stay in the uk you have foundation programme, which will provide you with good experience too.

Now this theory is something i've come up with myself.. so I would LOVE for a few of you to actually reply to it telling me what you think about it so I can know whether there is a major flaw in my thinking or not.
Please please please.. reply! This is a crucial time in my life!

Thank you !

Members don't see this ad.

Status
Not open for further replies.