Canadian interested in US schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vict

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys I have question for you,

I'm a canadian Undergraduate currently studying for my B.Sc. in Biology and am starting to look at the various veterinary schools I can attend, which to great frustration is only one, the WCVM (I'm from BC but I study in Montreal). The cost is high and the competitiveness is tight. Each year there is only 20 spaces available for BC applicants. I don't think my GPA is going to be stellar by the time I graduate and I won't have that much additional experience on the side as it is hard to find work here in Montreal as a non-french speaker. I don't want to "put all my eggs in one basket" and consider my other options. But I am uninterested in moving to another province to establish residency so I can apply to an additional school because I can still get rejected.

Is there anyone out there, a Canadian, like me who is considering other alternatives? I would love to hear what you guys are considering, whether it be US vet schools, the Caribbean unaccredited schools, Overseas... etc. I am considering everything! Also Grad school and Masters, I'm considering those as well.

In particular I'm interested about the US schools. Their websites (the ones that I've looked at, because there is so many and all are practically the same) all consistently seem to show a preference for in-state applicants (understandably) and with varying tolerance to "out-of-state" applicants. I'm wondering if "out-of-state" is including Canadian applicants?:xf: Can anyone shed some light on this? Is there any US schools that are particularly lenient on considering Canadian applicants?

I really want to pursue a career in veterinary medicine but my main concern is the limitation of my options after I get my B.Sc.

Members don't see this ad.

I can't speak from experience, but I'm fairly sure that you can indeed apply to schools in the US, where you would be considered an 'international student'. Every school has different policies but in general Canadian residency shouldn't disqualify your application. I've never heard of a US vet school that is unfriendly to international students. You are not wrong, however, in that some US vet schools can show an overwhelming preference toward in-state students. There are plenty of US vet schools that accepts a relatively decent number of OOS students though, and I believe you would be considered to be in the 'out of state' applicant pool.
There is also Ross University in St. Kitts, which is the only non-US vet school that is accredited (to my knowledge).

This is right up my alley. :D

I too was doubting my competitiveness to WCVM (and UCVM since I'm an AB resident) when I was nearing the final year of my BSc. I did transfer to the US though after hating my time in Calgary. I applied to a few US schools in addition to WCVM/UCVM last year and was accepted to Kansas State, interviewed at both Canadian schools and waitlisted at WCVM. However, I did decline Kansas due to the cost difference and currently in the middle of applications this year for WCVM/UCVM.

The biggest thing you need to think about is cost. American schools are 4x the tuition of WCVM and are much more expensive to apply to. You would also have to sit the GRE in order to apply. Is paying 4x the amount for the same degree worth it? That's what it came down to for me since I didn't think I had a chance at attending school in Canada. Turns out I was incorrect about how competitive I would be. You may also be doubting yourself too much. :)

So my biggest advice to you would be to really crunch the numbers. I can get into more detail with other things that steered me away from American schools, but I'm on my phone at the moment and will need a proper keyboard to go into any more detail.

Or feel free to PM me too. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
The cost is high and the competitiveness is tight.

The biggest thing you need to think about is cost. American schools are 4x the tuition of WCVM and are much more expensive to apply to.

This. You say you don't want to move to get residency in a different province, so I'm guessing you also wouldn't want to move to a state to establish residency, which means you'd be applying to the American schools as an out of state applicant. And those numbers are pretty rough compared with WCVM's tuition ($8,300/yr). Check out the "Estimated Costs" stick to see the numbers. Not to discourage you, but I think once you see that, WCVM will seem like a bargain basement price.

Can you get out of Montreal on breaks to get some experience? Is taking a year off after your BSc to do some work an option? Co-op program? Honours thesis working with animals/vet stuff?

One of the vets I volunteered with was flat out told by her advisor not to apply to WCVM because of her grades and was accepted first try so don't rule it out completely.

I am a Canadian applicant. I can't apply anywhere else because I am not independently wealthy. You will only get a maximum of $14 000 from the government per year if you qualify. The rest has to come from somewhere. Tuition alone at accredited international schools can range from $25 000 - $40 000 per year.

This. You say you don't want to move to get residency in a different province, so I'm guessing you also wouldn't want to move to a state to establish residency, which means you'd be applying to the American schools as an out of state applicant. And those numbers are pretty rough compared with WCVM's tuition ($8,300/yr). Check out the "Estimated Costs" stick to see the numbers. Not to discourage you, but I think once you see that, WCVM will seem like a bargain basement price.

:thumbup::thumbup:

Absolutely. This goes for any other international schools as well. SGU and Ross in the Caribbean, 3 UK schools, and 4 Australian/NZ schools are all accredited, but are still 4-5x the cost.

One of the vets I volunteered with was flat out told by her advisor not to apply to WCVM because of her grades and was accepted first try so don't rule it out completely.

I am a Canadian applicant. I can't apply anywhere else because I am not independently wealthy. You will only get a maximum of $14 000 from the government per year if you qualify. The rest has to come from somewhere. Tuition alone at accredited international schools can range from $25 000 - $40 000 per year.

:thumbup::thumbup:

Some very important points to consider. The U.S. was only an option for me because my parents have the means to loan me the funds required for tuition. Loans will not cover any international school, U.S. or overseas.

Hey Guys I have question for you,

I'm a canadian Undergraduate currently studying for my B.Sc. in Biology and am starting to look at the various veterinary schools I can attend, which to great frustration is only one, the WCVM (I'm from BC but I study in Montreal). The cost is high and the competitiveness is tight. Each year there is only 20 spaces available for BC applicants. I don't think my GPA is going to be stellar by the time I graduate and I won't have that much additional experience on the side as it is hard to find work here in Montreal as a non-french speaker. I don't want to "put all my eggs in one basket" and consider my other options. But I am uninterested in moving to another province to establish residency so I can apply to an additional school because I can still get rejected.

Is there anyone out there, a Canadian, like me who is considering other alternatives? I would love to hear what you guys are considering, whether it be US vet schools, the Caribbean unaccredited schools, Overseas... etc. I am considering everything! Also Grad school and Masters, I'm considering those as well.

In particular I'm interested about the US schools. Their websites (the ones that I've looked at, because there is so many and all are practically the same) all consistently seem to show a preference for in-state applicants (understandably) and with varying tolerance to "out-of-state" applicants. I'm wondering if "out-of-state" is including Canadian applicants?:xf: Can anyone shed some light on this? Is there any US schools that are particularly lenient on considering Canadian applicants?

I really want to pursue a career in veterinary medicine but my main concern is the limitation of my options after I get my B.Sc.

Hey! Feel free to PM me, I'm a Montrealer who went through aaaaallll this last year :)