Canadian Interested in Vet school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rjh58

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I am interested in attending vet school but I am not sure I will get into a canadian school. What are good options for the states and abroad which will ease transition back to canada after I am finished. Which are the easiest to get into and what not?

Has anyone gone to the carribean?

Thanks for the info

RJH

Members don't see this ad.

Hi there
glad some one from Canada is finally here
any way about working in USA ,canada and USA both has the exams for licensing a veterinarian so in case you finished from 4 Canadian colleges or 27 American or some other accredited veterinary colleges( like Glasgow,Royal veterinary college both in UK,Utrech in Holland,Murdoch in Australia,Massey University in New Zealand, and may be one or two others in Uk i am not sure what are they) any way if you finish from any of these too u will have to do the NAVLE exam which is the written exam for license as a veterinarian to work either in Canada or in USA. thats all you have todo then you have to do whats called the province( canada) or states(USA) license which is acourse or exam in regulations of the state or province you want to practice in ( some places may require more than that too) but not geraly
then you r licensed to practice in the place
Now if you graduate from colleges other than the one i mentioend to u above
you have to do NAVLE plus whats called a practical exam which takes about 4 days of clnical cases and surgery ...etc and coast alot of money ( now about 7000 CDN$ fee) and then when you pass it you do the regulations thing like the one i mentioned above then you r licenses
now that was one way of license for forign veterinarian the second pathway is to go to an accredited college of veterinary medicine byAVA(American veteriany association ( this progam only exists in USA ( Canada doesnt have it ) where you spend one year of clinical rotations in different area under the supervison of the faculty of the vet med. and after that they do tests after each part and when you pass that you dont need to do the clinical exam part but before they accept you in this porgram you need to pass the NAVLE ( written exam) and TOEFl for ppl who dont speak English as firt language,,,etc
This program coast is very expensive though ( between 20-30 K for the fee for one year )
I hope this helps and If you need any more informations let me know
Regards
dr_amer

Yay! Another Canadian here!

Really do your research on the Carribean schools... they're really expensive. Oh, and Ross is owned by the same company as DeVry. Where are you trying to get into in Canada?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi fellow Canadians!!

I am also a vet med hopeful living in canada, and looking at my options in the US. Are there any US vet schools known to accept canadians or are our chances pretty slim (because they sure are in Canada)?

Sandy

Have you tried to get into a canadian school yet? Are you in Ontario or elsewhere?