Canadian MD/PhD applicant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

john316

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm currently in the process of defending my M.Sc. degree here in Canada in Biochemistry. I've been considering the MD/PhD path in the U.S. for a while. I was wondering if there are any universities that you know of which consider Canadian applicants for the MD/PhD program? Is admission typically more strict for international/canadian students. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I know you can't apply to University of Michigan while you can at Columbia.

Any school which uses its own funding for some or all of the MD/PhD positions (rather than relying only on the NIH grant for MSTPs) could potentially take international students. I know Penn takes international students, and I think Wash U may as well. I suggest you email the admissions offices of those programs you're interested in and ask.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks, the link is useful. But I take it some universities in U.S. have a different policy for canadian students in comparison to international students. I know in terms of MD applicants, many universities consider Canadian citizens. However, I wasn't sure about the MD/PhD route because most MD/PhD students are supported by NIH which I take it is available to U.S. citizens only.

Canadian IS international in this context. All international MD/PhD applicants who have a shot either are foreign students who did undergrad in the USA OR Canadians. You are correct that the NIH only supports Americans. This leads to a small number of universities supporting a small number of non-US citizens/permanent residents out of their own pockets. These spots are highly competitive.