Canadian Med Grad American Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

west coast med

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I'm just wondering what are some advantages of graduating from a Canadian medical school and hen going to do thier residency in the US. Does it happen often? I've heard some places will pay for your living expenses while in resiency. Is the application process difficult and can you get a visa easily?
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I am not sure what your question is. But in case I got it right:

> Does it happen often?

Every year, a good number of canadians come to the states for their residency. The canadian match is a bit earlier than the NRMP, so if people didn't match for a competitive specialty in canada they can try their luck in the states.

> I've heard some places will pay for your living expenses while in resiency.

During your residency in the US you receive a salary which is enought to live on if you are alone but fairly limited if you have financial obligations (e.g. debt or family).

> Is the application process difficult

If you had the mental capacity to make it through medschool, you should be able to fill out the foms for it.

> and can you get a visa easily?

As a canadian citizen/PR going to the US for residency is visa wise a bit tricky. But I haven't heard about anyone failing at it in the end.

Does it work the other way around?

US medical school to Canadian residency?

Members don't see this ad :)
Can someone explain what "Registered Positions" in the first link means?

And how come the numbers don't add up?

Also, do US grads but Cdn citizens get some advantage?

notetote1111 said:
Can someone explain what "Registered Positions" in the first link means?

Registered positions are the number of first year positions that are up for grabs. They are divided by each province, med school and whether they are family practice or a specialty.

And how come the numbers don't add up?

Because the Canadian match is conducted in two iterations.

First iteration is reserved for graduates of Canadian universities and the handful of US graduates and IMGs that can participate in the first iteration. Second iteration is for everything that is left over. The link above is merely for the first iteration this year, as the second actually takes place today.

Also, do US grads but Cdn citizens get some advantage?

See http://www.carms.ca/jsp/main.jsp?path=../content/applying/eligibility for details as to how US grads can participate by province.