Canadian Medical Graduate/Citizen want to do FM in USA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jerkey

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I just wanted some clarification about this question - if anyone could help me, thanks in advance.

I am a Canadian medical graduate. I only have Canadian citizenship. I would like to apply for Family Medicine in the States. I was reading through the eligibility section on some of the programs and came across this line about visas "We accept IMGs into our program and the Institution will sponsor a limited number of J-1 visas." From what I read, the J-1 visa is sponsored by the home country (in my case, I guess that's Canada). What does the program mean by "sponsor" J-1 visa? Does it mean that they will accept only X number of people like me or they will give out J-1 visas separate from the process I would go through with the government of Canada (statement of need, etc etc)? In other words, if a program says they won't sponsor any J-1 visas (like alaska FM program), they won't consider people like me?

Thanks once again!

Members don't see this ad.

What does the program mean by "sponsor" J-1 visa? Does it mean that they will accept only X number of people like me or they will give out J-1 visas separate from the process I would go through with the government of Canada (statement of need, etc etc)? In other words, if a program says they won't sponsor any J-1 visas (like alaska FM program), they won't consider people like me?

Thanks once again!
what they mean by sponsoring is that they match someone who needs a visa to work in USA, they will give you the J-1 visa only. It would be hard to limit the number of people they are willing to sponsor as they cannot control entirely who will match to their program.

And yes if a program doesn't sponsor a visa, they are unlikely to even grant you an interview. They might filter out any applicants requiring work sponsorship.

Once you get a job, you would have to go through the statement of need.

Status
Not open for further replies.