Canadian Medical Graduate/Citizen want to do FM in USA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jerkey

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I just wanted some clarification about this question - if anyone could help me, thanks in advance.

I am a Canadian medical graduate. I only have Canadian citizenship. I would like to apply for Family Medicine in the States. I was reading through the eligibility section on some of the programs and came across this line about visas "We accept IMGs into our program and the Institution will sponsor a limited number of J-1 visas." From what I read, the J-1 visa is sponsored by the home country (in my case, I guess that's Canada). What does the program mean by "sponsor" J-1 visa? Does it mean that they will accept only X number of people like me or they will give out J-1 visas separate from the process I would go through with the government of Canada (statement of need, etc etc)? In other words, if a program says they won't sponsor any J-1 visas (like alaska FM program), they won't consider people like me?

Thanks once again!

Members don't see this ad.