Canadian medical schools and matching -- reputation etc..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

onelastpuff23

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone

I am a dual citizen, and am interested in applying to US for residency programs. However, I did my medical training in Canada (McMaster University). We don't have grades or class ranks. Just P/F.

I have been calling program admins (not directors) and all seem to think I am a IMG/FMG and warn me that match rates have been low for such applicants. I try to clarify the situation by stating I am not an IMG and have no need for VISAs.

I do have a few questions

1) How are Canadian medical schools perceived ? Are they seen as equivalent (as per LCME)? Is their reputation on par ? Or is it just an unknown

2) Is there something in the online applications, SF MATCH, ERAS, NRMP that allows PD To see I am NOT AN IMG ? something that will help them distinguish my application as non-img without reputation or recognition alone?

thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Just say you got to a LCME accredited MD school in Canada and you are an American citizen(don't even bring up Canadian citizenship to confuse them). Procuring Step scores/LORs from US doctors is the best way to help your situation and give you the same competitiveness as mid-tier MD applicant.